What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Osprey books on the Baltic Crusades and the Scandanavian and Russian forces involved. All in advance of sorting out (finally, as I planned this over 2 years ago :-[) some Retinues for Lion Rampant.

DaveH

Quote from: mollinary on 25 April 2016, 05:16:49 PM
Be careful about publicising this - someone is bound to tell you who wins!  ;)

Mollinary

That French chap with the good trousers? Bonne pants or something...

DaveH

Wiley Sword The Confederacy's Last Hurrah: Spring Hill, Franklin & Nashville

Leman

Good book that one - I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it does nothing to enhance Hood's reputation.

I am currently reading 'We're All Damaged' - contemporary humorous novel set in Omaha - along the lines of ........ no forgotten, but it's about some bloke and a record shop.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 09 May 2016, 08:23:09 AM
I am currently reading 'We're All Damaged' - contemporary humorous novel set in Omaha - along the lines of ........ no forgotten, but it's about some bloke and a record shop.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby? Good film, even better book.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Yep, along those lines - average bloke trying to get himself back together after wife divorces him for paramedic hunk. Also features the Gay Mafia who are a hoot and glitter bomb those opposed to gay marriage. His mother, who is slightly to the right of Sarah Palin, has caused all this.

T13A

Hi

Caesar, by Adrian Goldsworthy

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

kipt

Finished "The Campaign in West and South Germany: June-July 1866" by Michael Embree.  To me it was a little disjointed and the wording on the maps too small.  Also, place names in the text are not all shown on the maps.

Other than those minor quibbles, I did enjoy the book.

Leman

Whereas there are places shown on some of the maps which do not get mentioned in the text.

kipt

Also finished "The Franco-Prussian War - A Guide" by Steve Shann.  A short pamphlet booklet that he did in 1987.  A precursor to his Osprey's(?)

Interesting.

Leman

Don't know about that, but in my early days of Franco-Prussianism he and Michael Howard were a godsend.

cameronian

Howard should be read every couple of years just for the sheer pleasure of his prose.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Roy

Going through the Kindle samples so I can decide what I need to buy
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

Now reading Sharp Practice 2. The videos arte a hoot, but do help in understanding the intent of the rules.

Roy

Quote from: Leman on 12 May 2016, 12:49:49 PM
...The videos arte a hoot, but do help in understanding the intent of the rules.

Best video I've seen (today) for a rules book is this one.

Music turned to loud!

Edwin King's blog has a brief write-up
https://diplomatist2.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/tribal-first-thoughts.html
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}