What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Have to say I've found Ben Kane's stuff badly researched, badly written and badly edited.

YMMV
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Bodvoc

I enjoyed the first 3 of Ben Kanes 'Hannibal'series.
I am currently reading the Joe Abercrombie novel, 'Best Served Cold', a fast paced, action packed fantasy, good characters in a believable world.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

mollinary

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 March 2016, 03:37:06 PM
Have to say I've found Ben Kane's stuff badly researched, badly written and badly edited.

YMMV

But other than that, how did you find the play, Mrs Lincoln?    ;D :D ;)

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Roy

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 March 2016, 03:37:06 PM

Quote from: Bodvoc on 13 March 2016, 03:52:09 PM
I enjoyed the first 3 of Ben Kanes 'Hannibal'series.

I enjoyed the bits he wrote from the view of the Capuan teenager Carbo. Family ruined by debt, him running away and wanting to join the army, but finding real life more difficult than his previous pampered life had led him to believe ... he's the only character I was interested in.
The character of Spartacus, however, I found as dull as dish water. 
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

JaymisHawk

At the moment I'm currently reading, Burton and Swinbourne Book 3: Expedition to Mountains of the Moon and The Saga of Dune Book 8: House Harkonnen.

Can highly recommend both  :)
"It'll be fine!" - The last words the misses heard me utter before Cthulhu devoured us in Arkham Horror!

FierceKitty

The first of those sounds worth reading. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

JaymisHawk

Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 March 2016, 09:34:58 AM
The first of those sounds worth reading. :)

If you enjoy, Alternate History / Steam Punk it definitely is :)

House Harkonnen is worth it as well  :'(
"It'll be fine!" - The last words the misses heard me utter before Cthulhu devoured us in Arkham Horror!

Roy

"Artemis" book 2 of the Kydd series, belonging the RN fiction books by J. Stockwin.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Tawa

Still chipping away at 'Das Boot'. Not really having much reading time atm  :(
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Leman

Flodden 1513 by Niall Barr. A really good treatment of the Flodden campaign set in the context of Julius II's Holy League. It also presents James IV as a hard-headed and forward looking Renaissance monarch, rather than the traditional view of the chivalric dreamer and it explains why it was necessary for the Scottish nobility to be in the front ranks of the pike blocks. Furthermore it is very well illustrated, with some superb artwork by the late Rick Scollins (which originally appeared in a Military Modelling compendium many years ago), who was art teacher when I was at school.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

If you haven't yet been Will I can highly recommend it. The battlefield is so unspoilt, and the display boards so good that you can easily visualise the battle unfolding. Furthermore there are various battlefield walk books available which include the route up Flodden Hill where James initially camped and established the gun platforms, which later had to be abandoned as the English moved to the east and north around his flank (Sybil's well is still there too, where the Scots took their drinking water). About three miles from the battlefield is Etal castle, which houses a little Flodden museum, and Ford, Wark and Norham are also close.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

why it was necessary for the Scottish nobility to be in the front ranks of the pike blocks.

I'm not sufficiently interested in the period to buy the book but I'm intrigued by the above. I never could understand why they did it, so why did they ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

I'd always assumed it was a combination of putting the best armoured and best trained in the front rank plus leading from the front.

Intrigued if some other theory is being proposed.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data