What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Further to Too Little Too Late: The Campaign In Western Germany 1866, the faulty editing seems to be mainly confined to the quotation, mainly from contemporary works of the time. Some really do require teasing apart for them to make sense. Nevertheless this is still a good overview of a little known part of the 1866 campaign and provides plenty of inspiration for some small scale actions. I wonder if Kissingen can be done as a small scale BBB like Langensalza and Balaclava?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 28 February 2016, 04:47:14 PM
Further to Too Little Too Late: The Campaign In Western Germany 1866, the faulty editing seems to be mainly confined to the quotation, mainly from contemporary works of the time. Some really do require teasing apart for them to make sense. Nevertheless this is still a good overview of a little known part of the 1866 campaign and provides plenty of inspiration for some small scale actions. I wonder if Kissingen can be done as a small scale BBB like Langensalza and Balaclava?

Perfectly possible, I would think. As you know, there is a good Bruce Weigle scenario with an OOB and map as a start point, and 500 men to a base should work. I find when you get down to these smaller scales, and do 100yds or so to the inch, you get a game where the ranges times and move distances seem to work best - but that is just my personal prejudice!  :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: kipt on 28 February 2016, 12:43:35 AM
Back on topic.  Finished "the Affair at Nery: 1 September 1914" by Patrick Takle.  Its a Battleground Early Battles booklet.  More detailed than the Nery book I mentioned above.  Which book is also referenced in the bibliography.  I enjoyed it; a fast read.

I'm thinking of doing this as a FPW combat.  Mitrailleuse instead of Brit MG's, French instead of Brits, a Prussian Jager unit instead of their MG's.

Could be interesting.

Have to agree that Takle's book is very good. Your FPW idea sounds good Kipt. I ran a game last year based on Battle of Halen using 1914 British against the Germans rather than Belgians....was a interesting game but as per the actual battle the German cavalry didn't prosper in the end 😕
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

kipt

Finished "Wargaming in History, Volume 11: The Seven Years War Small Actions" by Charles S Grant.

As always, lovely pictures and good write ups.

Evidently only one more volume coming out, the 1866 Koniggratz book.

Subedai

A book arrived through the post this morning. Legnica 1241 by a gentleman named Jerzy Maron. published by Bellona in 2008...in Wroclaw. The only problem is that it's in Polish so Google translate could be in for a hammering!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Chad

Just finishing "Eagles Over The Alps: Suvorov's Capaign in Italy and Switzerland 1799".

Just like the books on Marengo and Hohenlinden, there is plenty of information for wargaming. Do not understand why the period 1792-1800 is so badly neglected by manufacturers in 6 & 10 MM. scale figures. There are adequate 15mm figures available and proxies in 6mm might be available but would require modifications to figures in some cases.

Chad

Fenton

Just about finishing off listening  to The Name of the Rose, then going to start on The Eastern Front (WW1) by Norman Stone
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Just started re-reading the Elric books of Michael Moorcock.

Read them all in the 70's and '80s.

Seem very different now.  :-\ Perhaps it's me.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

POD PERSON ALERT !!!!

Been listening to a Jeeves & Wooster story on the iPlayer.

Bertie came out with what sounded like a new insult for me to use on Nobby.
"A loathsome ******." (An apparently old word, that I'd never heard before.

I'd better look up what the definition of ****** is...Thought I.
I won't be using it.....It's not suitable for the forum, at all ! (Way beyond bad taste.) X_X
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

kipt

Finished "Moltke and His Generals: A Study In Leadership" by Quintin Barry.

VERY well done; I do like his books.  Great discussions of who his generals were and how they interacted (or acted irresponsibly).

Liked it.

mollinary

Quote from: Fenton on 11 March 2016, 02:18:29 PM
Just about finishing off listening  to The Name of the Rose, then going to start on The Eastern Front (WW1) by Norman Stone

Eastern Front is an amazing book. Stone was my supervisor at University when he was finishing it in the late 70s, and I have a nicely inscribed original copy.  He was a truly inspirational teacher.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Roy

Ben Kane. Spartacus. Library Book. Fiction.

Just read the second chapter last night. Already found two errors that should have been sorted by an editor.  :(
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Last Hussar

Quote from: Techno on 11 March 2016, 03:10:11 PM
POD PERSON ALERT !!!!

Been listening to a Jeeves & Wooster story on the iPlayer.

Bertie came out with what sounded like a new insult for me to use on Nobby.
"A loathsome ******." (An apparently old word, that I'd never heard before.

I'd better look up what the definition of ****** is...Thought I.
I won't be using it.....It's not suitable for the forum, at all ! (Way beyond bad taste.) X_X
Cheers - Phil

Oh come on, Wodehouse used it therefore it is literature, not rude.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Roy

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 12 March 2016, 07:57:13 PM
Ben Kane. Spartacus. Library Book. Fiction.

Just read the second chapter last night. Already found two errors that should have been sorted by an editor.  :(

Read first three and a bit chapters. Wasn't finding it very interesting. Have given up.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}