What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Osprey Essential History of the American Civil War (all four volumes published as one). So far an excellent read with just the right amount of detail for a complete newbie like myself.

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 03 January 2016, 09:21:52 AM
'An Invincible Beast - the Hellenistic pike-phalanx at war' - a 500 page tome on how the phalanx actually worked, including a lot of experimental archaeology with reconstructed arms and armour. Incidentally £10 cheaper from Amazon than direct from the publisher.

Thanks for the tip. Just got mine from Amazon, along with his book on hoplite warfare. What is not to like about 500 pages on PIKES!    :o :o

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Chad

Just finished "Marengo and Hohenlinden. The rise of Napoleon". Highly recommended as a read and a source of wargame info.

About to start "Eagles over the Alps". Suvorov's 1799 campaign.

Chad

Techno

Just started listening to 'The Storm' by Clive Cussler.

Modern 'Boys own adventure story'......Good fun.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

Just read Hyena Dawn by Christopher Sherlock.

Quite enjoyed it, and it read very much like a Wilbur Smith novel from the 70s.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

In 1982 I was told off by the female deputy head for referring to a Wilbur Smith novel as one of those "her heaving breasts" stories. I was a teacher, not a pupil, and it was in the staffroom.

Tawa

Luftwaffe Fighter Ace - Norbert Hannig.
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

KTravlos

I finished the collection of alternative history stories called "Over the Top". Some good and believable ones, a couple that are just corny and problematic, and the rest meh. I do not recommend it.

kipt

Finished "Reminiscences of a visit to the battle fields of Sedan, Gravelotte, Spicheren, and Worth and the  bombarded towns of Thionville, Metz, Bitche, Strasburg, etc." by Lewis Appleton.  It was written more as a travel journal in 1872.  Not great but some interesting descriptions of the areas.  Too much proselytizing however; Lewis should have been a preacher.

kipt

Also finished "Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen" by Lois McMaster Bujold.  Space opera and the 15th book in the Vorkosigan series.  A fun read and quick.

Roy

Travels into the interior of Africa, by Mungo Park (obviously not a first edition 'Napoleonic' -era print)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

cameronian

Quote from: mollinary on 30 January 2016, 04:02:10 PM
Thanks for the tip. Just got mine from Amazon, along with his book on hoplite warfare. What is not to like about 500 pages on PIKES!    :o :o

Mollinary

Mollers, try this, only 251 pages but even so.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0953237761/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0953237761&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwpikeangler-21
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

Tawa

The Tank War - The British "Band of Brothers".
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.