What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameronian

Quote from: Westmarcher on 26 November 2015, 01:41:11 PM
Well, the county library service has dug deep into the "reserve" stock and come up with the goods. I'm about to start reading The Franco-Prussian War by Michael Howard (as recommended by SteveJ, Cameronian, Leman and Mad Lemmey). Just got to see the last episode of Vikings (Series 3) first! Can't wait for both!

P.S. The book is 54 years old!

You won't be disappointed, its a great read, magisterial is the most common word used to describe it.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Steve J

Napoleons Campaign in Miniture: A Wargamers Guide by Bruce Quarrie.

Only managed a quick glance at it last night, but it looks to be a great read and full of info.

Roy

Thomas Flashman in the Peninsula (book 2)

This one
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

KTravlos

Slow going with Barry's Franco Prussian War Volume 2.

Finished With the Turks in Thrace by Ellis Ashmead-Bartlett. Pretty interesting read.

Burned out a bit by two demanding months. Hopefully after next week I will be able to take it easy.

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Quote from: cameronian on 04 December 2015, 12:09:44 PM
But not by GMF !!! WTF !!!

The character is the original Flashman's uncle, I understand, although I have never read them. So perhaps by extension, William Thomas is George MacDonald's uncle?  

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Roy

Quote from: mollinary on 04 December 2015, 02:42:33 PM
So perhaps by extension, William Thomas is George MacDonald's uncle?  

;D ;D

The Thomas Flashman books are enjoyable enough, and I've no complaints about them.
Differences with GMF will be, there's a lot less sex, less verbage and the books are far quicker to finish.
In common with GMF, they're still funny, still feature historical incidents and personalities, and follow the same cad-like principles of the Flashman family traits.

###

Right now (since I'm in bed, ill) I've progressed to reading this (free download from Kindle)

A Sailor of Austria
by  John Biggins

The adventures of a U-boat captain in the Austro-Hungarian Navy during World War I, the story of brave seamen working in such primitive conditions that every dive threatens to be their last.

Book info link here
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

cameronian

Just finished 'For God and Kaiser'. Bit weak on 1866 but I don't suppose its fair to expect him to be as knowledgeable as some of the anoraks here. Fascinating insight into the German efforts to destabilise the Austrians in the Balkans both before and, amazingly, during the war. Hadn't heard of the 'Silesian offer' either, don't think that would ever have happened somehow. 

Techno

Listening to "Death Angel" by Linda Fairstein.

Another 'detective' story...Not bad, so far.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Christopher Duffy - The Army of Frederick the Great - very readable account full of lots of little snippets. When I've finished it I shall have to re-read The Army of Maria Therasa.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

skywalker

Having just finished Team Yankee on my kindle I have opted for a more traditional approach and have just started the hardback version of "The Secret War, Spies, Codes and Guerrillas 1939 to 1945" by Max Hastings. It's a big book so should keep me quiet for weeks  :D :D :D

Hwiccee

Quote from: Leman on 10 December 2015, 02:16:44 PM
Christopher Duffy - The Army of Frederick the Great - very readable account full of lots of little snippets. When I've finished it I shall have to re-read The Army of Maria Therasa.

Have you seen his more modern work on the Austrians? A bit expensive but well worth it in my view and is in my view the best book on the Austrian/Prussian part of the war. This is it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Force-Arms-Austrian-Seven-Years/dp/1858189829/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449765957&sr=1-11

There is also a 1st volume of this which is also good but more expensive and probably of less interest to the gamer - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Instrument-War-Austrian-Seven-Years-x/dp/1883476194/ref=sr_1_31?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449765937&sr=1-31

Leman

Unfortunately I have broken my budget at the mo.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Finished "Blucher: Scourge of Napoleon" by Michael Leggiere.  Good Biography of Blucher's life and determination.  While he was (is) know as Marshal Vorwarts,he was also circumspect during the 1814 and 1815 campaigns.