What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Now I am having to read FOGR (refer back to last ruleset thread).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

DP:
Welcome to the dark side! It's a good rule set that feels 'right'!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Cheers Lemmy. Have opted for a couple of supplements as well, Trade and Treachery (or is it the other way round) for the Italian Wars, and Eternal Empire for the Ottomans.

Westmarcher

Reading The Making of the British Army by Allan Mallinson. Quite unsettling early on when, discussing the English Civil War, he refers to the Swedish Brigade system using 3 ranks and the Dutch Brigade system using 4 ranks - my understanding has always been that it should be 6 ranks and 8 ranks respectively. If this fact is incorrect, how much of the remainder is correct? Anyway, I'll see how it goes and if it is disappointing, hopefully the local library will soon come to the rescue with my first FPW book reservation (The Franco-Prussian War by Michael Howard).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

The Howard book is very, very good.

Westmarcher

26 November 2015, 01:41:11 PM #1580 Last Edit: 26 November 2015, 01:55:48 PM by Westmarcher
Well, the county library service has dug deep into the "reserve" stock and come up with the goods. I'm about to start reading The Franco-Prussian War by Michael Howard (as recommended by SteveJ, Cameronian, Leman and Mad Lemmey). Just got to see the last episode of Vikings (Series 3) first! Can't wait for both!

P.S. The book is 54 years old!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ace of Spades

Just started 'The guns of August' by Barbara Tuchman (that one is 52 years old already I believe...? ...I mean the book!).
A very good read up till now I must say!

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Chad

Just started Bayonets of the Republic by John Lynn. Detailed account of the development of the Army of the North in the French Revolution.

Tawa

Currently reading: Commando to Captain-Generall: The Life of Brigadier Peter Young:D
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Steve J

Osprey book on the development of the Italian Light Tanks. Very good so far and learnt a lot of useful stuff to take forward into games.

Roy

The tribe that washed its spears - the zulus at war
Adrian Greaves and Xolani Mkhize
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Techno

'Close than you think' by Karen Rose.

20 CDs !

That'll keep me entertained for a few days.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

The Wargamer's Guide to Dark Age Britain by Martin Hackett. Genning up on the Picts I bought from Pendraken at Warfare.

fsn

Just received "Wellington's Engineers: Military Engineering in the Peninsular War 1808-1814" by Mark S. Thompson.

Looking forward to it!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Dictator by Robert Harris. After a slow start I am beginning to get into it .... pity I know how it ends!  :(

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!