What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

Dinosaur Hunter by Osprey...rather funky little book :)
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Last Hussar

Re-reading Order of the Stick.

Rich Burlew publishes 1-2 strips a week, so I decided to reread from the beginning so I could get a number of the big battle scenes (1010+) in one go.  Also reminded me of some of what had happened (like why Roy's sword glowed green).  I'm at 870ish at the mo.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That will be the starmetal then...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Quote from: Bodvoc on 17 November 2015, 04:11:53 PM
I am hoping to get my copy of those rules in a few days. Do you think it will be a game you will play again abd again!
I am likely to play again and again because they are very straightforward and period specific. Further they are compatible with my basing system and the SYW looks great in 10mm. Here's some of my Prussians making their way through the wendy houses.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Bodvoc

'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Techno

Last Hussar

Leman - Just ordered Prussian SYW army for #1 son.  Because of the logistics of Pendraken packs he is going for 32 man units on 4 30mm bases - Sunjester and I said we wished we'd based Black Powder WSS this way now, rather than 6 x20mm bases.

Will 4 x 30mm work with the rules?  (yours look like inch bases)

GNU PTerry

kipt

Also just finished "Destructive & Formidable: British Infantry Firepower 1642-1765" by David Blackmore.

Another good book.  The Brit tactics come down to "...reserving fire until within a range of thirty yards, then delivering fast and accurate fire to overwhelm the enemy's resolve, before driving them off with a vigorous bayonet charge".

Much discussion of platoon and alternating fire over the time period of the book title and how it was a continuous development.  The British ignored long range fire from their enemy so had the advantage of more accuracy and therefore harder hitting when they did fire.  I'm sure (as is described during the Napoleonic times) that the quiet, solid British line also did a psychologi9cal number on their opponent.

Leman

Keith Flint suggests 5 base infantry and 4 base cavalry units. The rules do make allowances for larger and smaller size units. Some of my Austrian units already have 5 bases, so I may well play these as larger units and leave my 4 base infantry units as standard size. I use 1" square bases for both infantry and cavalry, and consequently will be using the 15mm scale tables in the rules. I would suggest that with 30mm frontages you use either the 15mm or 20mm tables. These tables adjust movement and ranges for smaller than 28mm figures. However the 10mm table assumes proportional basing similar to the 28mm scale, i.e. only 4 figures per tiny 15mm base, so for people like us, who want to use 10mm to represent the massed ranks of the SYW, it is suggested in the rules that the 15mm table is used, but you may want to go even higher. I intend to play a couple of games with each of the adjusted scales to see which works best. Fortunately there are some small learner scenarios in the rulebook. I will start a new thread for Honours of War using 10mm.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Bodvoc

Cheers Leman, that was all very useful to know, I may get away with no rebasing.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Last Hussar

Different basing for 10mm is silly in my opinion. I prefer putting more figs on a 20mm rules base to resizing- as you say, looks better. The only concession I have made to this is Black Powder, where we do cms as a straight swap for inches.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Osprey Honour thingy ordered for #1 son.  Should arrive with plenty of tie for me to read.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Dodger by Terry Pratchett, didn't even know I owned it! Good so far, but I'm only about 30 pages in!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Quote from: Last Hussar on 18 November 2015, 06:43:18 PM
Different basing for 10mm is silly in my opinion. I prefer putting more figs on a 20mm rules base to resizing- as you say, looks better. The only concession I have made to this is Black Powder, where we do cms as a straight swap for inches.

Quite agree.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 19 November 2015, 06:47:42 AM
Dodger by Terry Pratchett, didn't even know I owned it! Good so far, but I'm only about 30 pages in!

I quite liked that one too, Will.
(Audio book from the library van.)

Finished listening to "Death at Knytte" by Jean Rowden, and "What doesn't kill you" by Iris Johansen over the last couple of weeks.
Both "OK"....and passed the time while I was pushing putty around.

Cheers - Phil