What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Back to books read or being read.  Just finished "1636: The Cardinal Virtues".  Part of Eric Flint's (this one with Walter H. Hunt) on the alternate history series.

Leman

OK, deep sigh, serious face back on - my next read, after The Elven, will be 1914 Fight the Good Fight.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

Mary Renault's 'The Alexander Trilogy, haven't read it for over 35 years but its as good as I remember it.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

But before that I am re-reading Longstreet rules prior to starting a new campaign on Thursday set in the Western Theatre.

Subedai

First hardcopy military(?) book I've picked up in a while, Peter Tsouras, Disaster at D-Day. Mainly rereading this as background info for a solo WW II campaign in Kent after the Allies failed.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Bodvoc

The Civil War in Yorkshire, a Pen and Sword publication by David Cooke.
This is an excellent read, full of action with some good first hand accounts by Thomas Fairfax and the Duke of Newcastle. Perfect inspiration for my current ECW project.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Tawa

Quote from: Bodvoc on 27 July 2015, 09:45:48 PM
The Civil War in Yorkshire, a Pen and Sword publication by David Cooke.
This is an excellent read, full of action with some good first hand accounts by Thomas Fairfax and the Duke of Newcastle. Perfect inspiration for my current ECW project.

Oooh!  :D
There's one to add to the library. "All the Kings Armies" is a decent reference book.
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Leman

Yes, I will keep an eye open for that one as I like the actions away form the Essex and Oxford armies, particularly in the North and the South-West.

Bodvoc

Quote"All the Kings Armies" 

...and I shall look out for that one too.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

pierre the shy

I found another gem in our local library that I'm reading at the moment - "The Ottoman Defence against the ANZAC Landing" by Mesut Uyar. Published by Aust War Memorial.

Fantastic stuff if you have any interest in Gallipoli campaign - the Ottomans had their share of problems during the first day of the landings as well. This book draws on many Turkish sources not readily available to most "Western" historians to give a in depth view of the defences and how the Ottomans reacted to the Allied landings during the first few days.

Didn't know that several Italian Navy battleships bombarded the Dardenelles defences in 1912 during the Balkan Wars.

5 stars for this one  :)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Sounds very interesting  :)

We forget just how much fighting there was in that part of the world in the lead up to WWI
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Bones of The Hills by Conn Iggulden.
My dad bought it for me years ago, but I never started it. I really enjoyed the first two months parts. However, with the birth of our second daughter reading a opportunities vanished!
Now with my Mongols well underway I'm really enjoying it.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

"Marlborough's Other Army. The British Army and the Campaigns of the First Peninsula War, 1702-12" by Nick Dorrell.

The story of the War of the Spanish Succession in the Iberian Peninsula. Bit different from the usual Blenheim story. Easy read, though it would perhaps disappoint those who want Oman depth historical reporting.

It is my kind of book. A mix of history plus information about the organisation, equipment and uniforms of the armies and plenty of OOBs.

I loves me a nice OOB, and this has one every few pages. It's a compendium of OOBs. OOBs everywhere. British OOBs, French OOBs, Spanish OOBs, Portuguese OOBs and Dutch OOBs. Lovely OOBs.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kodiakblair

" Early Roman campaigns in South-West Britain " booklet from the 1st Caerleon Lectures 1987 and Lin Carter's
" Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age " rules.

Strange one the Carter book,it gives figure bases as 60mm wide by 1 1/2 inch deep  :o and as table size is determined by army points it suggests 1500pts.
Cause " it's difficult to find tables longer than 12 feet"  :o

Or my favourite part is when they applaud modern rules for using morale rather than casualties to
determine battles as a more accurate method then tell you their rules don't use morale they're  back using casualties :o

Subedai

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 July 2015, 09:03:24 PM
Bones of The Hills by Conn Iggulden.
My dad bought it for me years ago, but I never started it. I really enjoyed the first two months parts. However, with the birth of our second daughter reading a opportunities vanished!
Now with my Mongols well underway I'm really enjoying it.

I've got all of them. He tells a good story...a very good story, but historically. it's almost pure Hollywood.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!