What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakblair

UnRoman Britain by Laycock and Russell.

The idea is Latin and toga wearing wasn't that widespread. Quite a valid theory,as we speak a Germanic based tongue with only a few
Latin loan words.It also backs up my feeling that British history was Romanised in the Victorian era as learned men desperately drew parallels
between the British Empire and the Roman one.

Steve J

Cassell's Battlefields of Great Britain and Ireland by Richard Brooks. Just into the Anglo-Saxon phase but so far excellent stuff.

The Well-Tempered Garden by Christo Lloyd. Superb as one would expect from Christo and perfect for reading in the garden whilst planning a few changes here and there.

FierceKitty

20 July 2015, 02:08:48 AM #1382 Last Edit: 20 July 2015, 02:11:55 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: kodiakblair on 17 July 2015, 09:21:51 PM
UnRoman Britain by Laycock and Russell.

The idea is Latin and toga wearing wasn't that widespread. Quite a valid theory,as we speak a German-based tongue with only a few
Latin loan words.It also backs up my feeling that British history was Romanised in the Victorian era as learned men desperately drew parallels
between the British Empire and the Roman one.

There aren't that many Celtic words in English. Clearly Celts weren't widespread in the way back when either!

Not to mention the fact that most of our vocabulary comes from French. It's our grammar that's Germanic.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

English is such a polyglot language, but Celtic words survive in the names of geographical features; if you live in Shropshire there are Mynds (long ridges), if you look at Pendle Hill in Lancashire it translates as Hill-Hill-Hill (Pen being Celtic, Dale being Anglo-Danish, Hill being Anglo-Saxon). The Clun series of settlements along the river Clun...
But if you look at animals and their food types, you (from the Norse) can see a Norman/Saxon class differential:
Oxen/beef
Pig/pork
Deer/venison
Chicken/lunch!

Then there are all our other loan words:
Curry/bungalow/pyjamas/cop
They are all so passé!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Study of funeral sites estimates that fewer than 100,000 Germanics settled on this island of 4 1/2 million Celts. Integration rather than wipeout. The River Avon translates as River River. One often sees an armada of yachts yawing too and fro in the wind and spray. good time to use the shampoo before heading for a curry in the bungalow, or would a kebab be more appropriate, accompanied by a Rioja or maybe a cool glass of rose. Brings out the hiraeth in one.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Reminds me of this -

"Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV."

And the good old quote from  James Nicoll. "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

And then broken them before getting them home.

Ithoriel

Pendle Hill - name apparently translates as Hill Hill Hill.

Presumably each wave of incoming nobles asked, "what's that?" and then added their own version of hill to the end.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Speaking of which I'm off for a walk to "Your finger you fool-you fool-you fool-hill" ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 20 July 2015, 08:16:34 AM
English is such a polyglot language, but Celtic words survive in the names of geographical features; if you live in Shropshire there are Mynds (long ridges), if you look at Pendle Hill in Lancashire it translates as Hill-Hill-Hill (Pen being Celtic, Dale being Anglo-Danish, Hill being Anglo-Saxon). The Clun series of settlements along the river Clun...
But if you look at animals and their food types, you (from the Norse) can see a Norman/Saxon class differential:
Oxen/beef
Pig/pork
Deer/venison
Chicken/lunch!

chicken - pullet, so that one also fits the pattern
calf - veal
sheep - mutton

Last Hussar

If its standing in a field covered in sh*t - the word is Anglo Saxon

If its on the table, then its Norman French

So the Anglo Saxon peasant has a Cow
The Norman Lord has Beef

The oppressed has a pig
The King, who I never voted for, has Pork
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

You talk the walk. Do you fork the pork?

toxicpixie

I'm seeing the violence inherent in the system here, Last Hussar!

Don't let FK oppress you with rules of grammar he's never let us vote for!

Down with this sort of thing!

FierceKitty

The day English grammar is put to the vote in this forum will be the day I am finally motivated to start studying Japanese.