What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Poor old Wawro = he really is useless. Gordon Craig coupled with Bruce Weigle's 1866 rulebook gives an enormous amount of info for just two sources.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

wurrukatte

QuoteHave you read Prof Craig's Koniggratz? A better place to start than Wawro who ruins what could be a good book with careless errors and ill informed prejudice

Hello
Yes I've read Craigs book (and a good read it was to), followed that with Quentin Barry's Road to Koniggratz.
About to start the Seven weeks war by HM Hozier.

W

cameronian

Excellent. Hozier's a bit 19th Century but there's still lots of good stuff. Wawro's book really could have been a show stopper if he's just had a better editor, never mind. Bruce Weigle's 1866 is really worth buying, much more than a set of rules. Have a look on the HELION site, lots of good stuff there, Heidrich's Battle of the Swiepwald should be available in translation in 2016 (plug plug). Mollinary and Holdfast have produced the first volume of their 1866 series and its well worth buying, volume 2 is I believe not too far away either. Wait a bit and Fontane will be available in translation too, exciting times for us 1866ers.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

fsn

I'm reading "Air Wargames" by the Blessed Featherstone. It's all Big Jack Mac's fault. I find that every now and again I need to refresh my wargaming spirit with the simplicity of the Master.

However, it is one of the accursed volumes "edited" by John Curry. I have a few of these now and am fiercely disappointed that they are all full of silly spelling mistakes ("pint" instead of "point") and formatting errors that make sections of the book unreadable and/or nonsensical.

I first noted this in "Airborne Wargames" when the US Airborne Forces of 1944 were permitted M60 Machine Guns. Screaming Eagle with a Pig?

I'm struggling through but the expectation of  error makes one rather tentative in one's reading.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

wurrukatte

QuoteExcellent. Hozier's a bit 19th Century but there's still lots of good stuff. Wawro's book really could have been a show stopper if he's just had a better editor, never mind. Bruce Weigle's 1866 is really worth buying, much more than a set of rules. Have a look on the HELION site, lots of good stuff there, Heidrich's Battle of the Swiepwald should be available in translation in 2016 (plug plug). Mollinary and Holdfast have produced the first volume of their 1866 series and its well worth buying, volume 2 is I believe not too far away either. Wait a bit and Fontane will be available in translation too, exciting times for us 1866ers.

Hello Cameronian,

It was Mollinary and Holdfast's book that first got me hooked on 1866, and I had the pleasure of seeing the Nacthod game at Salute 13. The vol 2 will be snapped up as soon as it appears for pre-order on Trotman's website.
I  have Theodor May's tactical retrospect and the Prussian staff campaign history of 1866 waiting patiently for me to finish Hozier.  :D
Thanks for the heads up on Heidrich and Fontane I'll keep em peeled.

regards

W

Maenoferren

I finished 'Beyond The Reach of Empire' and am now onto 'The River War' by Churchill.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Leman

Painting Wargaming Figures by Javier Gomez. some interesting stuff on mixing colours, particularly Vallejo. I was interested to note that, like me, he practices yoga to stay supple.

FierceKitty

Does practising yoghurt really  keep one supple? I live and learn.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

It depends on which joints one massages it in to.
Personally, I find raspberry works best on knees and ankles.
(It can attract wasps, though.)

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Leman

Weird responses, but it's FK so no change there then. Presumably yoghurt is pronounced with a soft O in South Africa rather than the British hard O pronunciation.

cameronian

Quote from: Techno on 05 July 2015, 04:12:51 PM
It depends on which joints one massages it in to.
Personally, I find raspberry works best on knees and ankles.
(It can attract wasps, though.)

Cheers - Phil

First the knees, then the names ...
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Steve J

The Military Experience in the Age of Reason bu Duffy. Started it yesterday and really, really enjoying it. Great back gound reading for planned SYW games.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Steve J on 07 July 2015, 10:05:14 AM
The Military Experience in the Age of Reason by Duffy. Started it yesterday and really, really enjoying it. Great back gound reading for planned SYW games.

:-bd Should be supplied free with every first purchase of an 18th-century European or related army.

5, for those who haven't been paying attention, is hah in Thai.

Subedai

I seem to be having a bit of a hiatus from military reading. Not long finished all 12 of Burroughs' John Carter series and am now re-reading the second of the Foundation Series by Asimov -last read in the mid '70's!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!