What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

All I seem to be reading at the moment is Ross and Wilson - Anatomy and Physiology

Other than Wargames reference materials I haven't read anything other than medical manuals for some time. I genuinely can't remember the last piece of fiction I read  :(
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leman

1864 - it is not the novel of the TV programme, but instead is a very readable history of the attack on Dybbol by the Prussians. The various chapters deal with such topics as war correspondents, the red cross, attitudes of ordinary Prussian and Danish soldiers, loss, the Rolf Krake. As a consequence it is not a linear account, but it is one of the best military histories I have ever read. Highly recommended. If it doesn't make you want to have a crack at the BBB scenario for Dybbol ......... well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Finished a Mark Adkin tour de force - "The Western Front Companion". Amazing as the rest of his works. Super detailed and well illustrated.

Techno

Listening to 'Devil's Gate' by Clive Cussler & Graham Brown.
'Thriller' involving a 'super weapon', an African Dictator, kidnapped scientists, plus assorted bad guys and hero types.
Good fun !

Cheers - Phil

kipt

Finished "Auftragstaktik: The Basis for Modern Military Command?"  It reviews the FPW and then says this is how the U.S. Military now intends to command using Mission Command orders. No author attributed and is in a booklet called "Defense". Short, only 57 pages.

kipt

Finished "Guns at Sea" by Peter Padfield.  A history of the big guns from the early days to WWII.  His discussion of Jutland is one of the best I have read, short as it is.  Also his discussion of the late era sailing ship and big guns is very good.

wurrukatte

Craig's Battle of Koniggratz (again)

Leman

Craig's book is superb. It was one of the first military history books I owned, bought for me in the late 60s in a W H Smith sale by my dad. I still have it.

Subedai

On my fourth -out of twelve- John Carter of Mars books.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

I've just started reading the Quran.

So far, it doesn't look good for me.  :(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Or as we call it, the Koran.

Just having a re-read of Osprey's Mons.

toxicpixie

Friend of my t'other half has a number issues with the Koran, or at least the interpretation of it by many people over the years. She's actually had the "and this is why we do not teach our women to read" comment directed at her by an Iman from back east, as she turned up with "a few questions" and a lot of red highlighted passages she wasn't happy about :D

"Show me where it says X and I'll think about it..."

Much the same reaction I used to get from the vicar about the bible, come to think of it :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

28 May 2015, 01:09:00 PM #1317 Last Edit: 28 May 2015, 01:13:49 PM by FierceKitty
Oh, Lord, help Thou my unbelief. Give me faith, that I may overcome the demons of asking obvious questions, of suspecting that power does not equal moral high ground, of wondering whether survival codes for groups of nomads carrying everything that they owned are entirely needful in this age of ours, and of wondering whether other people might sometimes have ideas as good as ours. Let me not desire sexual contact without feeling guilty, let me shun half the pleasures life has to offer, let me mutilate the minds and genitals of children, let me strive to believe that turning people into mincemeat is an act of love, and above all let me approach Thy Holy Mysteries with less grasp of science and decency than a half-educated teenager. Let me believe that Thou gavest man a voice but dost not desire him to sing, endowedst him with a brain but desirest he be given unto the flames should he ever use it, createdst woman as an imperfect afterthought to be blamed for everything, and mayst contradict Thyself at every turn just because Thou controllest the media and canst prevent anyone from commenting.
And dost Thou wish me to smite Richard Dawkins, or reservest Thou that satisfaction for Thyself?

Amen, World without End, per saecvla saecvlorvm, amen.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

A FINE GLOSS OF MY INTENTIONS, MORTAL!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

kustenjaeger

"Bundschu Ridge: at the tip of the spear during the liberation of Guam" which was a free Kindle Book, focusing on the life of Geary Bundschu, who died (other references are to his being mortally wounded) on what was then referred to as O-A Ridge leading A Company, 3rd Marines (though http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-M-Guam/USMC-M-Guam-3.html#fn27 indicates the name Bundschu Ridge was given on board ship because that was A Company's objective).  There wasn't as much on the action itself as I had expected (a lot of joining the USMC, training, transhipment etc because the book is founded largely on letters home) and nary a map to be seen - the internet helps a bit in this respect.

Regards

Edward