What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I'm with Mollinary on that.
I listened to them somewhat 'out of sync' from the library, to start with....(Though I've gradually treated myself to the whole series now.)......If you listen to them in the wrong order, you'll have a few 'spoilers'.
Cheers - Phil

NTM

I'd also suggest reading them in order as there are several story arcs to follow.

Westmarcher

Oh, well, as far as The Empty Throne is concerned it looks like its, "Roll up that map: it will not be wanted these ten years." (Pitt the Younger on receiving news of Austerlitz).

What you say makes sense, guys. Thanks.

To the library!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Finished 'King's gold'. Not bad at all.
Making a start on 'A Game Of Bones', by David Donachie.
Sounds promising, so far.

Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Just started Panzerkrieg: The Rise and Fall of Hitler's Tank Divisions by Peter McCarthy and Mike Syron. I thought at first it was going to be a superficial run-through of WWII from a German perspective, but having got further into it I find there are some useful insights and background information.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

kustenjaeger

Greetings

Dipping in and out of 'The Eagle Unbowed' by Halik Kochanski on Poland and the Poles in WW2.  Interesting but grim reading in places.

Regards

Edward

Westmarcher

Slowly ploughing my way through the Sharpe series. About to start "Sharpe's Honour" after which I only have three more to read. Trouble is, I'm always reading something in between. Who knows when I'll start Cornwell's Dark Ages stuff!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mollinary

Quote from: Westmarcher on 25 March 2015, 12:47:40 PM
Slowly ploughing my way through the Sharpe series. About to start "Sharpe's Honour" after which I only have three more to read. Trouble is, I'm always reading something in between. Who knows when I'll start Cornwell's Dark Ages stuff!

Worth waiting for, and worth the effort, I think.  For me Cornwell's best work was his "Warlord Trilogy" on Arthur, but some of the Saxon books come a close second

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fsn

I'm just starting "The Battle of Waterloo, a series of accounts, by a Near Observer*".

It has gatefold maps and diagrams! It has C19th casual racism, and soaring hyperbole, with copious footnotes ** and has chapters called things like

FURTHER PARTICULARS

OF THE

BATTLE AND ITS CONSEQUENCES

FROM

DIFFERENT SOURCES

What's not to love?

*Anyone else thinking of the Two Ronnies Phantom Raspberry blower being written by "Spike Milligan and a Gentleman"?
**Like this one
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: mollinary on 25 March 2015, 06:37:50 PM
Worth waiting for, and worth the effort, I think.  For me Cornwell's best work was his "Warlord Trilogy" on Arthur, but some of the Saxon books come a close second

Mollinary

Agree with this entirely, through I did think the Vagabond series was better than the Saxon books which in a way were too similar to the Warlord Trilogy
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

NTM

I enjoyed the Vagabond trilogy too. Only read one of the Warrior series but know what you mean about similarities

Raider4

Quote from: mollinary on 25 March 2015, 06:37:50 PM
. . . For me Cornwell's best work was his "Warlord Trilogy" on Arthur . . .

Okay, you've sold me. Just bought the Winter King for my kindle.

Cheers, Martyn
--

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 25 March 2015, 06:49:12 PM
I'm just starting "The Battle of Waterloo, a series of accounts, by a Near Observer."

Let us know when you've finished it, Nobby. Would be interested to find out how or if it lived up to your expectations. Ta.

fsn

I picked up in a junk shop "Small Arms Manual" by Lt Col J A Barlow SAC, The West Yorkshire Rgt (With many illustrations.) from about 1940 as it is aimed at the Home Guard.

Instructions on rifles, LMGs, MMGs and pistols. Includes the .256 inch Revelli Medium Machine Gun - length "rather longer than the Vickers."

This is useful stuff, but what is so interesting are the adverts:

Gilette: blades last longer and save steel. (1s/3d for 5 - that's about 7p)
Buy your clothes from Rego and put the money you save into war savings.
There's nothing like Nufix for perfect hair health and perfect grooming. Eliminates scurf-dandruff. Handy, convenient and safe to carry. Bottles 7 1/2d.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: fsn on 29 March 2015, 12:23:15 PM
(With many illustrations.) from about 1940 as it is aimed at the Home Guard.

What are you implying?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!