What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Just finished Bernard Cornwell's Waterloo. Better than I thought it would be (probably because I started off with low expectations). A few "oh, oh" moments (e.g., has a habit of using battalion and regiment to describe the same thing - didn't work with a "battalion of lancers."). Story well told (as one would expect) and liberally dotted with eye-witness accounts (which I always enjoy) some of which I'd never read before (or forgotten?). Methinks it is a good introductory book on the battle for guys like most of my pals who are not very historically minded (never mind wargame minded).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Hertsblue

I, too, have just finished Bernard Cornwell's Waterloo. I agree entirely with Westmarcher. A good, readable novelist's account marred by trivial errors of fact.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Mesius

@getagrip - I am staring it proper tonight - only flicked through it so far. Will let you know.

getagrip

Quote from: Mesius on 17 March 2015, 06:01:26 PM
@getagrip - I am staring it proper tonight - only flicked through it so far. Will let you know.

I thank you :)

Looks a decent read ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Hertsblue

Just started The Battle of Cannae by Mark Healy, one of the Osprey History series. I find his style somewhat stiff and wordy, but he knows his subject and the illustrations and maps, as you would expect from Osprey, are first class.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

getagrip

Quote from: Hertsblue on 19 March 2015, 09:21:40 AM
Just started The Battle of Cannae by Mark Healy, one of the Osprey History series. I find his style somewhat stiff and wordy, but he knows his subject and the illustrations and maps, as you would expect from Osprey, are first class.

I may have to look into this one too :-[
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leman

Getting stuck in to Blucher, the rule book, at the moment. A rather unusual situation for me as I am painting non-Napoleonic figures for other rules at the same time. One of the most innovative ideas to come out of these rules is the opponents control of the momentum dice. I would strongly advise getting a game with someone who already has the rules as £28 is a hefty investment (almost as much as a Pendraken starter army). I did this and was impressed enough to get them, but then I like big diorama type bases.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Quote from: Hertsblue on 17 March 2015, 12:39:00 PM
I, too, have just finished Bernard Cornwell's Waterloo. I agree entirely with Westmarcher. A good, readable novelist's account marred by trivial errors of fact.

If it's as enjoyable as Mr Cornwell's usual work....may have to see if the library have got an audio version.
Cheers - Phil

NTM

I'm reading the latest two books of Cornwell's Warrior chronicles. Finished the pagan lord last weekend now getting stuck into the empty throne. Helps with motivation to get some armies painted for Dux Bellorum.

Westmarcher

Quote from: NTM on 19 March 2015, 01:02:11 PM
I'm reading the latest two books of Cornwell's Warrior chronicles. Finished the pagan lord last weekend now getting stuck into the empty throne. Helps with motivation to get some armies painted for Dux Bellorum.
Was about to start The Empty Throne which I was given as a Christmas present. By the looks of things, I have a few earlier books to read first?  :-/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Leman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 19 March 2015, 01:15:40 PM
Was about to start The Empty Throne which I was given as a Christmas present. By the looks of things, I have a few earlier books to read first?  :-/
I think it's five or six.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

NTM

It's actually the eighth in the series

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 19 March 2015, 05:39:11 PM
I think it's five or six.
Quote from: NTM on 19 March 2015, 06:47:30 PM
It's actually the eighth in the series
:o :o
Dilemma. Do I read it now or dig the others up in the local library first? I've read most of the Sharpe stories out of sync so suppose I could read The Empty Throne now (besides Cornwell wrote the Sharpe series out of sync). Thoughts anyone?  (thanks in advance)

mollinary

Quote from: Westmarcher on 19 March 2015, 06:51:04 PM
:o :o
Dilemma. Do I read it now or dig the others up in the local library first? I've read most of the Sharpe stories out of sync so suppose I could read The Empty Throne now (besides Cornwell wrote the Sharpe series out of sync). Thoughts anyone?  (thanks in advance)

Purely from a personal point of view, I would try and read this series in chronological order if you can. The history of this period is confusing enough as it is, without juggling the order of events!  :o

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!