What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "Wargaming in History, volume 7: Peninsular Actions".  I've run out of these until a new one and reprints come out.  I'm off to FPW Republican phase and History of Naval Warfare.

Leman

Can recommend Quintin Barry's The Somme 1870-71. Very good individual campaign book and full of inspiration for FPW Republican phase actions.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kipt

Leman

Good isn't it!. It has inspired me to prepare a 10mm Black Powder scenario for the Prussian right flank of the Battle of Amiens.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 07 March 2015, 05:36:48 PM
Good isn't it!. It has inspired me to prepare a 10mm Black Powder scenario for the Prussian right flank of the Battle of Amiens.

On that theme, I reckon books have cost me about £200+ in lead  >:(
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Sandinista

I have just received "Famous by my sword" by Charles Singleton, about Montrose. My initial impression is good, will read and report back.

Cheers
Ian

kipt

Finished "Dix theses sur la guerre" by Elie Barnavi (please forgive the lack of accent marks).  Different for me as I am a slow reader in French.

Elie Barnavi is an Israeli and as the title says, has 10 articles about war.  Ancient times to modern fighting in the Middle East.  But all relate to the Israeli fighting.

kipt

Also finished "The Somme 1870-71: The Winter Campaign in Picardy" by Quintin Barry.  Enjoyed the narrative immensely, but was disappointed by the lack of place names in the maps (although the maps are pretty).  It is hard to follow the action when villages named in the narrative are not shown.

Mesius

War In The East by Quentin Barry.

Techno

King's Gold by Michael Jecks. (Listening...as per usual)
Pretty good, so far.
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 16 March 2015, 06:21:48 PM
King's Gold by Michael Jecks. (Listening...as per usual)
Pretty good, so far.
Cheers - Phil

Ive just finished that one
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Your rating, Steve ?
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Yeah not bad....7/10...Usual Jecks type of book , enjoyable enough
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

getagrip

Quote from: Mesius on 16 March 2015, 05:57:38 PM
War In The East by Quentin Barry.

I've got that, not started it yet though.

Any good Mesius?
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.