What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 23 February 2015, 11:08:22 AM
Not really, but entertaining account never-the-less
Dang! That's what I thought (I'm about to start reading Bernard Cornwell's Waterloo also. Like, Hertsblue, a gift.)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

xccam

I'm about 500 words into Robert Harvey's 'The War of Wars, The Epic Struggle Between Britain and France: 1789-1815'. I've been enjoying it quite a lot, even if I've only been reading it rather sporadically.

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Matt J

To maintain a theme...

Britain Against Napoleon: Organisation of victory 1793-1815

Only just started but reads well considering the potential lethargy of the subject matter.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Dunnadd

Half the World - fantasy rather than history, but by Joe Abercrombie, so includes a lot of realistic ruthless dark age or medieval style politics and warfare.

History books i'd reccomend - Pyrrhus of Epirus by Geoff Champion, The Great Warbow by Matthew Strickland (focus is on longbows but covers almost every type of medieval warfare), The Art of Warfare by Charles Oman (bit dated but interesting all the same), all the Wargames Research Group "Armies of" books - much better value for money and more informative than Osprey books. I do like the artwork in Osprey books, but they're very short on info and very pricey for a very narrow subject compared to much wider coverage of each WRG book.

On The Wars of Independence, 'Robert Bruce and the Community of the Realm of Scotland', 'The Wars of the Bruces' and 'William Wallace : Brave Heart'. Despite the cheesy name of the last one all three are pretty unbiased histories that show Wallace and Robert the Bruce as considerably more ruthless and less romantic figures. And also show that the Wars of Independence were as much civil wars between rival Scottish noble families and alliances as wars between Scotland and England.

Leman

A Blaze of Glory, by Jeff Shaara, a novel of the Shiloh campaign. It's a first in an ACW trilogy focusing on the western theatre.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Trying to listen to "Emperor.....The Gods of War" by Conn Iggulden, at the moment.
Still using the Dremmel, so much, I have to keep pausing it, and end up losing the thread.

Finished "The Field of Swords" by the same author.
Think I enjoyed that....But I was having a similar problem, because of making such a racket....Didn't take much of the story in. :(

Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Quote from: Techno on 27 February 2015, 08:38:33 AM
Trying to listen to "Emperor.....The Gods of War" by Conn Iggulden, at the moment.
Still using the Dremmel

Phil at work:

:D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kipt

Finished "Wargaming in History, volume 5: The Seven Years War, Minden, Kunersdorf, an Action at Torgau and Maxen".  On to the Peninsula next.

Roy

The Last King Of Scotland.

'Modern' African wars anyone?

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

wurrukatte

Sol shall rise. 1st book (actually the only book so far) in the Pike chronicles
by GP Hudson.

W

Techno

Caligula, by Douglas Jackson.
Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Operation Barbarossa - The German Invasion of Soviet Russia

Robert Kirchubel: cracking read.
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

cbr3d.com

Ottoman Warfare 1500-1700 by Rhoads Murphy.

Interesting so far.