What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Quote from: getagrip on 04 February 2015, 10:51:38 AM
Don't take mine off anymore and I sit by the door :D

Beau_ing to the inevitable Gareth?😀
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

getagrip

Quote from: Fenton on 04 February 2015, 11:13:22 AM
Beau_ing to the inevitable Gareth?😀

Here's your cloakroom ticket Steve :D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Fenton

Quote from: getagrip on 04 February 2015, 11:52:37 AM
Here's your cloakroom ticket Steve :D

I have my own multipass now thank you
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Yes.....But I do have to put the official stamp on it, Steve.
Cheers - Phil

getagrip

Quote from: Fenton on 04 February 2015, 12:04:54 PM
I have my own multipass now thank you

Quote from: Techno on 04 February 2015, 12:41:25 PM
Yes.....But I do have to put the official stamp on it, Steve.
Cheers - Phil

;D ;D ;D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Bodvoc

I am currently reading "The Viking Wars of Alfred the Great" by Paul Hill. I bought this book at the Vapnartak Show and it is proving to be a very good read. It details how Alfred learnt from experience and developed his tactics to deal with the Viking threat.
Having finished re-basing (and added several new units and command stands) my 10mm Normans I am now doing the same to my Anglo-Saxons/Anglo Danes. This book is making me impatient to get onto my Vikings. It has also made me think of a few tweaks I need to make to my own rules for the period.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

kipt

Just finished number 4 of volume 78 of "The Journal of Military History".  It is $60 per year and publishes quarterly.  Membership also gives access to the online previous volumes.

Articles are varied; in this volume there are:
"Did They Really Take None but Gentlemen?  Henry Harman, the Maryland Line, and a Reconsideration of the Socioeconomic Composition of the Continental Officer Corps".
"The Road from Kandahar: The Politics of Retention and Withdrawal in Afghanistan, 1880-81".
"Field Marshal Montgomery's Role in the Creation of the British 21st Army Group's Combined Arms Doctrine for the
Final Assault on Germany".
"The Weight of History: Wehrmacht Officers, the U.S. Army Historical Division, and U.S. Military Doctrine, 1945-1956".
"No 'Technical Knockout': Giap's Artillery at Dien Bien Phu".
"When 'The Institute was Heard From" in World War II: VMI Alumni on the War Department General Staff, 1939-1945".
"The Ever Controversial General Charles Lee".

In addition, there are 84 pages of essentially current book reviews covering a multitude of military topics, ancient to current day.

always interesting, even if not always on a subject I am into.

kipt

I also just finished "Historical Examples of Sieges from the Franco-German War of 1870-1" by Frobenius, translated by Captain MHC Bird.  It was printed in 1906 by the RA Institute.  When I first received it and opened to the beginning, I was a bit disappointed because it starts with Volume 2 - Metz.  However, upon further thumbing through, volume 1 - Belfort and Strassburg appear after volume 2.

Frobenius was a lieutenant colonel of engineers in the German Army when he wrote it, and like all the German texts from the period, goes into great detail.  I will try and post a couple of pages if there is an interest.  The book would have helped me when I set up my Sappy Nappy campaign last October.  Being an engineer myself I probably would have gone into too much detail for investments and sieges, so it was probably good that I didn't start reading it until after the campaign was completed.

Westmarcher

Reading Osprey's Rossbach & Leuthen 1757 (again). Just finished Rossbach.

The stage was set for the Prussian cavalry to apply the coup de grace and turn the flight into a headlong route.  In this they were frustrated, however, by the four battalions of the Swiss regiments of Planta and Diesbach who formed square and fought off the pursuing Prussians ...... the two Swiss regiments were like rocks in the swirling sea of fugitives and Prussians as they carried out a fighting retreat. Frederick is said to have remarked, "What is this red brick wall that my artillery cannot manage to bring down?" and, being told it was the French Swiss infantry, he silently saluted them by doffing his hat as they marched off the field with colours flying and drums beating.

What's not to like?.  And squares. In the SYW.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Fenton

Just started Shadow and the Sword by Tom Holland. Not bad so far

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher.
Awesome.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Just finished "Baptism of Fire" by Andrzej Sapkowski, part of The Witcher series - loved it. Wish they'd get all of his stuff translated!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Just finished' The Battle of Ortona' which I found a bit disappointing :(. Now onto Osprey's Baltic Crusades as prep for some Lion Rampant and Hail Caesar gaming.

Techno

Just started listening to "Emperor - The field of swords", by Conn Iggulden.
Pretty good, so far.
Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 16 February 2015, 07:12:42 AM
Just started listening to "Emperor - The field of swords", by Conn Iggulden.
Pretty good, so far.
Cheers - Phil

They start a bit slow, and you do need to read all of them, but good series those.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021