What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Quote from: Bodvoc on 28 January 2015, 09:35:49 PM
I have the kindle app on my tablet and like to buy, read and store lots of books and rules on there (as my other half can't trace them so easily). Also, when on holiday I can take a whole library with me. However for a really important book or set of rules an actual book is always best.

Agree entirely. Great for blotting out the world when on holiday, but for serious reading give me a hard-back every time. Have you ever tried referring back to a fronticepiece map from the middle of an e-book? Don't bother!
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Subedai

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 January 2015, 08:41:55 PM
I would also go for Howard's Franco-Prussian War and Ascoli's 'A Day of Battle'.

Thanks for that, I'll look out for them.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

Quote from: Hertsblue on 29 January 2015, 09:05:08 AM
Agree entirely. Great for blotting out the world when on holiday, but for serious reading give me a hard-back every time. Have you ever tried referring back to a fronticepiece map from the middle of an e-book? Don't bother!
On a Kindle Fire there is a sidebar which can be revealed which enables you to go to different parts of the book, such as maps. Takes no longer than flipping back and forth in a book. I also discovered the tap twice feature which enlarges pictures and maps. Great for Ospreys.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Hertsblue on 29 January 2015, 09:05:08 AM

Agree totally with this.  Although, as Leman says you can be clever with tabs, it just isn't the same as reading and referring (ie flicking between the two pages).  I tried to read an account of the Waterloo; so frustrating!  >:(
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Leman

The Somme 1870 -71 by Quintin Barry. So far it's proving to be a good read, maybe because it deals with a very specific campaign. Couple of oddities though. In one place the same illustration is shown twice, one page after the other. Also all the colour photos taken on the battlefields appear throughout the book again in black and white. Nevertheless a valuable in depth look at an important part of the FPW, and inspiration for using those fusiliers marins.

cameronian

DP I'm interested - why the change of name?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Fenton

Currently ploughing our way through all the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough on audio book
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

Cameronian - someone suggested it was a bit long, and I had gone off it myself, not having done any ECW for a good few years now. The time was right.

Roy

Mongols, Huns & Vikings - Hugh Kennedy - Cassell's History of Warfare
(care of North Yorkshire County Library)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Ithoriel

Quote from: Fenton on 30 January 2015, 12:46:02 PM
Currently ploughing our way through all the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough on audio book

Great set of books. It needs to be turned into a TV mini-series!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

kustenjaeger

fsn

"Beau Sabreur", the second is the series is dedicated 'to "Nobby," true comrade, to whom this book owes much'.

Funny don't remember PC Wren from my time in the Legion - FSN
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Beau Geste, Beau Sabreur and Beau Ideal are all essentially the same book written from three different viewpoints.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Beau Diddley, however, is about a musician. Beau Locks is a general refutation of the French method of desert warfare. Beau Mont is a travel guide extolling the beauty of the Swiss countryside.

Ithoriel

While Beau Ring is a critque of Wagner's Ring Cycle :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data