What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

His book on Naval Firepower was cheap on the Kindle a few weeks back.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

getagrip

Just finished "Poison Study" by Maria V. Snyder.

Now this is by a female writer (not normally a fan) in the first person (which normally I HATE) but it works.

Some good characterisation and would be a nice setting for a fantasy campaign (wargame or otherwise).

Picked it up for 99p on Kindle.  Loved it!  Highly recommended.  Had the feel of the Golden Compass trilogy but for adults (please do not judge GC on the film which, quite frankly, was garbage).
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Maenoferren

I am reading 'Go Strong into the Desert'  a really good book. I wanted to buy it but wanted to have a look at it first. My lovely librarians bought it in...I thought it would be a little used book so I could keep getting it reissued... Sadly not there is now a queue. At least I know if it is worth buying  :)
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

FierceKitty

Quote from: getagrip on 28 January 2015, 11:41:48 AM
Just finished "Poison Study" by Maria V. Snyder.

Now this is by a female writer (not normally a fan)....

I shall burn my copies of Jane Austen at once.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

getagrip

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 January 2015, 11:55:25 AM
I shall burn my copies of Jane Austen at once.

;D ;D ;D

Personal preference and massive generalisation.   ;)

For example, I prefer Elizabeth Gaskell to Dickens and the list is endless but, on the whole (and certainly in terms of fantasy), I prefer male authors.  :)

fsn

Jane Austen is a frightful bore. Add in the Bronte sisters, Dickens and Hardy. Tedious reads, all of them.  (Yes, I have tried them all.)

The only Austen I liked was the one on "Old Harry's Game" whose catchphrase was (in a heavy cockney accent) "back off, or I cut yer!"

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

getagrip

Quote from: fsn on 28 January 2015, 12:32:36 PM
Jane Austen is a frightful bore.

She's a bloody snob!   Bit harsh given when she lived but...meh  :-<

nikharwood

Just finished - Into the Valley of Death - Berridge

D-Day - Ambrose
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold - Le Carre

Roy

Just finished Bundori by Laura Joh Rowland
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

kipt

I have Friedman's book on Naval Firepower, hard copy.  I don't like the electronic books.  My daughter gave me a Nook at one point and I gave it to my wife.

My military collection is upwards of 7,000 books with about that many more on diverse subjects in the house (no TV).

fsn

Kindles have their uses, but I don't like them for "proper" books with maps and pictures and so forth.

Just started reading "Inside Wellington's Peninsula Army". More a collection of essays than a single topic. Just got into the essay on Observing Officers.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

I have a kindle and use it all the time for what I call pot boiler books ie novels. For reference material you can't beat a good solid hardcopy book.

As I have just started painting FPW chaps I thought it would be a good idea to find out a bit about the war. Von Moltke's Franco-German War seemed a s good a book as any.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I would also go for Howard's Franco-Prussian War and Ascoli's 'A Day of Battle'.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

I find the tablet or phone good for "entertainment books" I'm not very bothered about sinking in permanently but can't beat actual hard copy for reference or rules etc.

Jut restarted the Wheel of Time series. Can't find my copy of book one so jumped straight to book 2. Also reading the Basic D&D Rules Compendium for old school flavour and Megablitz as we're running a game at WMMS in March :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Bodvoc

I have the kindle app on my tablet and like to buy, read and store lots of books and rules on there (as my other half can't trace them so easily). Also, when on holiday I can take a whole library with me. However for a really important book or set of rules an actual book is always best.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!