What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Emma. Got to come back to that regularly.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Just finished Quintin Barry's "The Road to Koniggratz: Helmuth von Moltke and the Austro-Prussian War 1866".  I thoroughly enjoyed it (and didn't find it dry - but I like detailed books about the logistics, etc).  It also discusses the Danish War and shows how this is the background to the war of 1866 and goes through the campaign in quite a bit of detail.

I liked it much.

Leman

I have gone back to finish off Collision of Empires, the war on the Eastern Front in 1914. In my opinion better written and more engaging than the Koniggratz book,
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hertsblue

Quote from: kipt on 29 December 2014, 04:22:27 AM
Just finished Quintin Barry's "The Road to Koniggratz: Helmuth von Moltke and the Austro-Prussian War 1866".  I thoroughly enjoyed it (and didn't find it dry - but I like detailed books about the logistics, etc).  It also discusses the Danish War and shows how this is the background to the war of 1866 and goes through the campaign in quite a bit of detail.

I liked it much.

Agree entirely. Very readable.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Gave up on the last book I was listening to.....I skipped 7 CDs, and went straight to the last one.....It was dire.
Now listening to 'Bleak Expectations'.
Cheers - Phil.

kipt

I give up!  And I always finish a book!  After 209 pages (out of 703) I have stopped reading "Poltava 1709: The Battle and the Myth".

I thought it would be a good read on the battle for the early horse and musket period.  I have others on the battle and Peter the Great, but this one did me in.  It does have a good chapter on "Peter's Dragoons: How the Russians Won at Poltava", but then gets into chapters such as"Poltava: A Turning Point in the History of Preaching" (this is what stopped me), "Love's Labour's Lost: Mazepa's Grammar of Romance" and other such.

It is part of the Harvard Papers in Ukrainian Studies and has 26 contributors.  Much more of a social history/archeology/literature graduate studies type of book.

Oh well, back to blood and guts.  At least I have 3 other books going at the moment.

far4ngn

I've been reading about Solo wargaming as I try and decide what to collect next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wurrukatte

Just started The blade itself by Joe Abercrombie

W

Steve J

Just started Ortona by Mark Zuelke. Might push me to finish my Fallschirmjager for BKCII so that I can game some of the actions...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Mission to Paris by Alan Furst, one of a series of espionage novels set between the Wars. This one concerns Nazi infiltration into the higher echelons of French government in 1938/9.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Quote from: mad lemmey on 01 January 2015, 04:34:31 PM
2015 Beano Annual

Sure you can cope - looks a bit advanced.

my current - Lost Stars novel, about to read SOTCW Journal 82, and Neiros War - a Kindle SF freebe.

IanS  :d
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021