What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

I'm reading the Cornwall book at present. I don't know what I'm expecting. Perhaps colour rather than new information - 'cos I'm probably not alone in having several books on the subject.

My favourite is still "A Near Run Thing" by David Howarth.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cameronian

Try Barbero, I really can't praise it enough.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Rob

Quote from: cameronian on 22 December 2014, 04:12:48 PM
If you haven't already, read Alessandro Barbero's 'The Battle', also about waterloo, quite magnificent, the best I've ever read.
Hi praise indeed, why would you say it is so good? I'll probably get it anyway.  :)

Rob

Quote from: fsn on 22 December 2014, 05:30:20 PM
I'm reading the Cornwall book at present. I don't know what I'm expecting. Perhaps colour rather than new information - 'cos I'm probably not alone in having several books on the subject.

My favourite is still "A Near Run Thing" by David Howarth.

I love that book too. I bought it again earlier this year for my son and he also thinks its great.

Its an interesting point that if someone started a thread over the most books in everyones collection centered around one battle, I am sure Waterloo would win hands down. I just had a  quick count along the bookshelves and I got to 9. The other ones which feature in more than one of my books are Arnhem and D-Day.

Cheers, Rob  :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It's because after 200 years us Brits are still unsure whether we should be claiming points for a score draw or a win.
The Germans claim the win, having two teams in the pitch.
The Dutch claim a heroic substitution of their lead player after 85 minutes should never have happened.
The French claim the match was postponed due to flooded pitch.
The Belgians claim that despite only fielding half a team, with no management, it is their pitch, and ball, and they're going home early...

It's always difficult when there's more than one team playing.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

cameronian

Quote from: Rob on 23 December 2014, 10:19:26 AM
Hi praise indeed, why would you say it is so good? I'll probably get it anyway.  :)

Very balanced, wonderfully written, lucid, gripping, informative, humorous ... "the English soldier, well nourished with meat and beer, stimulated with gin, and convinced of his own racial superiority to the foreign rabble he had to face, was a magnificent combatant, as anyone who has ever seen hooligans in action at a soccer match can readily imagine..."

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

KTravlos

Print books

1) Aubrey-Maturin Series: The Surgeons Mate
2) Moller and Cedra: Uniforms of the War of the Pacific

Ebook

1) Quinting Barry the Franco Prussian War I
2) Sears: To the Gates of Richmond
3)Embree: Bishmark's First War

Leman

I'm struggling with Barrie's Road to Koniggratz; it's terribly dry.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 23 December 2014, 10:54:32 PM
Know how you feel. Just finished Liberty's Exiles by Maya Jasanoff. This year I've been having an AWI fest (including trip to Concord, Lexington & Boston) so it seemed a good idea to find out how the Loyalists got on when the war ended. A very scholarly work and opened up your eyes to how the land of the free treated anyone who disagreed with them but, quite frankly, it got to the stage where I couldn't give a monkeys myself (poor show, I know  :-[).

So, AWI fest now over (except awaiting Black Powder Rebellion from Santa :-w). Now back to Sharpie's Enemy (yes, I've still to finish the series!) ... now there's a good read!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

cameronian

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 23 December 2014, 10:54:32 PM

Agreed, very worthy and all that but unreadable, are the FPW ones any better?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

If you read by battle, whilst standing on the terrain, yes.

Try read them dry, and I promise you will never have insomnia again!

cameronian

Just read Mark Urban's book on the 95th, very good though I thought Fusiliers was better.

Westmarcher

Quote from: cameronian on 27 December 2014, 11:19:40 AM
Just read Mark Urban's book on the 95th, very good though I thought Fusiliers was better.
Thanks for bringing that up. I enjoyed Fusiliers myself (read and re-read it about 3 times now over the years) and almost forgot I had put Rifles on my reading list. Good man!  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.