What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Listening to 'No one left to tell' by Karen Rose.....Not at all bad....Though rather lengthy.
Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Sun Tzu is a bit theoretical and of its time .

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

SV52

Final part of Joe Abercrombie's 'The First Law' trilogy; great stuff, like 'Game of Thrones' with a sense of humour  :D
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Finished listening to.....
The Empty Throne by that nice Mr Cornwell.....REALLY enjoyed that !
The Watchful Eye......Priscilla Masters.......Not quite my cup of tea...But not too bad, at all.

Then had a break to listen to Pink Floyd's new CD.

Now onto 'Private Games'  (James Patterson & Mark Sullivan).....Sounds promising (Oh, all right.....The sort of 'thriller' I tend to enjoy. ;))

Cheers - Phil

Hussargeneral

Quote from: SV52 on 05 November 2014, 12:43:06 PM
Final part of Joe Abercrombie's 'The First Law' trilogy; great stuff, like 'Game of Thrones' with a sense of humour  :D

Seconded, great reads, not read a bad one yet. Also recommend anything by Peter F Hamilton (Commonwealth books are excellent)

kipt

Now finished volume 2 of Quintin Barry's "The Franco-Prussian War".  It deals with the war "After Sedan".  Just as good as the first volume and good OB's.

Leman

I need to read that. It's been sat on the shelf for 18 months now.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Finished 'Private Games'
Now onto 'The Blood Crows' by Simon Scarrow......Sounds very promising so far.
Though not by the same author it appears (?) to almost be a follow on from 'Claudius'
Cheers - Phil

Leman

The Bloody Big Battles rulebook and scenario book. Had to look carefully at some scenarios to clarify the rule about skirmish bases, ie. 7S means 7 bases one of which is a skirmish base; 5 2S means 5 bases two of which are skirmish bases. Otherwise the rules seem to be very clear.

fred.

I'll be interested to hear more about these - looking for some ACW rules currently.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 18 November 2014, 04:03:07 PM
Finished 'Private Games'
Now onto 'The Blood Crows' by Simon Scarrow......Sounds very promising so far.
Though not by the same author it appears (?) to almost be a follow on from 'Claudius'
Cheers - Phil

Just finished listening to Blood Crows... Now listening to  A dead man in Malta by Michael Pearce
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

I'm about half way through it, so far, Steve......Thoroughly enjoying it !
Cheers - Phil

Leman

Quote from: fred    12df on 19 November 2014, 05:20:59 PM
I'll be interested to hear more about these - looking for some ACW rules currently.

At the moment the rules are concentrating on Europe 1850-1900. However the rules blurb mentions fighting Gerttysburg in 3 hours on a 6'x4' table, so I would imagine an ACW scenario book is on the way. The rules are designed for units between 2 and 7 bases, where a base is 25mm to 30mm square, and a division is made up of 2 or three units, so these are high level rules. You might also be interested in Altar of Freedom, which have a 60mmx30mm base per brigade and are designed specifically for the ACW. The rules are supported by a website with two scenario books for Eastern and Western theatres, some free scenarios, free buildings, scenario tips, AARs and so on.

fred.

Altar of Freedom looks good - spent a while rummaging though their site and links. I'll see what my gaming buds think.

AoF has much better overall presentation than BBB
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts