What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Quote from: kipt on 10 October 2014, 08:38:15 PM
Just finished "The War in the Crimea" by General Sir Edward Hamley.  ... Not a war I game however.

Yet  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Crimea - it's not a war - just glorious. A Frenchman said so.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

pierre the shy

Just finished "The Last Torpedo Flyers" by Arthur Aldridge and his son. Aldridge was a Beaufort torpedo bomber pilot with 217 Sqn in the UK, Malta and Ceylon in 1941-2. Its one of the best accounts by a wartime flyer that I have read (he was still alive as of late 2013). He is very forthright and honest about his chances of survival and seeing so many of his contempories set out on missions never to return.

I found a few bits of the book a little colourful in the light of hindsight (the Tirpitz is the biggest battleship in in world?) but to him in wartime it was what was thought to be the case. He was the pliot who torpedoed the Italain crusier "Trento" during the desasterous Harpoon/Vigorous convoy operations to relieve Malta in June 1942. I wonder if Jeremy Clarkson will follow up his recent rather good TV documentary on PQ-17 with one about the June convoys which ended almost as disasterously.

Overall a great read.     
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Dave

I'm currently reading the three volume set published in the early 50's on the RAF in ww2 currently working my way through book 2 and coastal command

Dave

No doubt written in the "heroic stiff upper lip" style.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Listening to 'Purity in death", by Nora Roberts.
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Techno!!!!  Nora is one of my faves. Could we have been separated at birth?

I'm re-reading "A Universe from Nothing" by Laurence Krauss. It explains how a matter can actually spontaneously come into existence. I read one page, understand it fully, then turn the page and magically know nothing.

Cheese, Philly - FSN
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave

Quote from: ianrs54 on 25 October 2014, 07:08:27 AM
No doubt written in the "heroic stiff upper lip" style.

IanS

Yes, abit hard to read in places, and glossing over cock ups.

Dave

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 25 October 2014, 08:26:05 AM
Techno!!!!  Nora is one of my faves. Could we have been separated at birth?
Cheese, Philly - FSN

Well.....We quite possibly share the same great, great, great, great (repeat a few thosand times) grandmother/grandfather, I suppose.
I sometimes wonder whether there was just one single celled orgasm organism that effectively 'gave birth' to every single creature on the Earth....In which case, we're all related, in a way. :-\ ;)

'Ere....Why did my PC decide to 'lose the hour' yesterday afternoon.....I hope it doesn't do it again tomorrow morning.....It's getting confusing !....Life's daft enough as it is !

Cheers - Phil (Probably)...... But I AM enjoying the Nora Roberts, writng as J.D. Robb, story  ;)

Hertsblue

Picked up a copy of the Osprey Campaign volume for Ramilles 1706 yesterday. I find the Osprey titles vary greatly in quality, but this one seems, at first sight, to be one of the better ones. At least the author, Michael McNally, has grasped the first requirement of any wargamer - an order of battle for both sides.   
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Maenoferren

Reading the Blackpowder rule book to see if I want to buy it :-\
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

kipt

Finished "Lee's Army during the Overland Campaign, A Numerical Study" by Alfred C. Young III.  It is as it says.  Through extensive research the author has compiled a pocket history of the Army of Northern Virginia's Corps, divisions and brigades, with reference to every regiment.  108 pages of tables listing casualties by regiment by each battle.  Also 41 maps to go with the text.  I found it more interesting than I first thought.

mollinary

The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell.  Good story, well plotted, well written, loads of period feel.  I am definitiely a fan of this series.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

Oooh...Squeaks of excitement !
Didn't realize that was out.....Straight off to see whether there's an audio version yet.
Ta for the heads up, M
Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Quote from: Techno on 01 November 2014, 03:03:52 PM
Oooh...Squeaks of excitement !
Didn't realize that was out.....Straight off to see whether there's an audio version yet.
Ta for the heads up, M
Cheers - Phil

Your welcome!   :D

Mollinary (awaiting the imminent arrival of FK!)
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!