What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameronian

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 21 September 2014, 01:25:36 PM
Got mine from Amazon.
Watched a bit on Youtube; too sanitised for me, try the book.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Steve J

Trial by Battle: The Hundred Years War, Vol. 1 by Jonathan Sumption.

Started reading this last night and quite simply it is superb. I was gripped from the very first page. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Glorfindel

The Last Ironsides by Jonathon Riley.    Only a few pages in but a very good
read already.   Tells the story of the last remnants of the New Model Army
sent by the newly restored Charles II to Portugal to meet marriage treaty
obligations and keep potential trouble-makers out of the country at the same
time.

Looks to be an excellent history of a forgotten campaign in which a small
English contingent excelled abroad.   Some good maps and background detail

Recommended !

Phil

Malbork

QuoteQuiet Flows the Don is the film of the two books combined. Rocks along at a good pace, and a couple of good 1914 battle scenes of cossacks charging A-H infantry and cossacks attacking A-H hussars who are trying to make off with a Russian gun. Some pretty harrowing scraps in the Civil War section, and it is a very long film. It's in English and stars Rupert Everett.

Have to say that in IMHO opinion the film is terrible. Rupert Everett, much as I like him, is totally unconvincing as Gregor the tough Cossack.  Okay, the battle scenes do offer something, but I really wouldn't bother, even on youtube !!

Leman

One man's meat. Now, turning the brightness up on the target on my forehead I've just started Ken Follett's  Fall of Giants.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Malbork

;D ;D

Absolutley right about the meat.  Mr Follett is on my list after my wife has finished it

Subedai

Masquerade by the ever popular Pratchett. I've read all of his books (31) in my collection at least twice each and I can still find them funny. Could it be the forgetfulness of age? Don't know but I still like 'em.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

There you go, you see; I can't abide Disc World.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Malbork

Neither can I.

Looks like I'm rapidly making enemies across the baord here..... :( :-\

FierceKitty

If Terry had written just six books and edited 'em properly, discarding the plagiarism and repetition, he'd be set to be remembered and admired much longer.

I have spoken.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Ah! FK. Wrong as usual :)

Love Terry Pratchett's work, haven't come across a book of his I haven't enjoyed. The later ones are less laugh-out-loud than the early ones but are better stories IMHO.

Though, more seriously, reading (especially fiction) is a very subjective thing and I don't expect other people to like the things I do. Nice when you find someone who shares your passion for an author though. 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Subedai

Quote from: FierceKitty on 23 September 2014, 05:32:02 PM
If Terry had written just six books and edited 'em properly, discarding the plagiarism and repetition, he'd be set to be remembered and admired much longer.

I have spoken.

I think that he will be remembered for a very long time -probably a lot longer than any of us. In some circumstances plagiarism and repetition it may be but personally, I don't give a rat's ar*e. The bloke has been making me laugh since I first came across
'The Colour of Magic' (although I still reckon it's one of the least funny of the lot). The way he takes real life and translates it into the Discworld setting is glorious in a lampooning way. Best of all I think his observations of people and situations are sometimes the funniest.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 23 September 2014, 05:41:21 PM
Ah! FK. Wrong as usual :)

Love Terry Pratchett's work, haven't come across a book of his I haven't enjoyed. The later ones are less laugh-out-loud than the early ones but are better stories IMHO.

Agreed.

I would love for him to write a book about Casanunda.

I haven't read a military orientated book in any format for a couple of years now -I'm having a bit of a sabbatical. More into Horror, SciFi and Fantasy at present.

Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I can never get the image of skiing elephants out of my head.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Subedai

Quote from: ianrs54 on 24 September 2014, 08:09:43 AM
I can never get the image of skiing elephants out of my head.

IanS
Or his description of camels running while mentally doing high level maths.
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Hertsblue

Quote from: Subedai on 23 September 2014, 08:39:13 PM
I think that he will be remembered for a very long time -probably a lot longer than any of us. In some circumstances plagiarism and repetition it may be but personally, I don't give a rat's ar*e. The bloke has been making me laugh since I first came across
'The Colour of Magic' (although I still reckon it's one of the least funny of the lot). The way he takes real life and translates it into the Discworld setting is glorious in a lampooning way. Best of all I think his observations of people and situations are sometimes the funniest.

Hear, hear. He, Tolkein and Patrick O'Brien are the only authors I can see surviving what might possibly be the last book-reading generation.  :( :( :(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net