What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

So it's singing a waltz whilst dancing a rhumba then?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

lentulus

I have quite a few books on the go right now, most relevant to this forum is  Take Budapest!: The Struggle for Hungary Autumn 1944 by Kamen Nevenkin.  Off to a good start with a clear explanation of the strategic importance of Hungary to all sides.

Anyone else use goodreads?  I've been using it to track the books I've read for the past few months and it's been a nice way to keep track of my impressions

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/23053935-les-howie?shelf=currently-reading

kipt

Just finished "The Last Gaiter Button: A Study of the Mobilization and Concentration of the French Army in the War of 1870", by Thomas J. Adriance.

Gets into details which is perfect for the campaign I am putting together.

kipt

Also finished "The Siege of Strasbourg" by Rachel Chrastil.  It has some military about the 1870 siege, but really explores the civilian side and notably the women.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but as I previously said, I am reading everything on the FPW I can get a hold of.  Reread the first part of Howard's "The Franco Prussian War" also for dates, commanders qualities and troop dispositions.

FierceKitty

Exploring the women? Are you posting on the right thread?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Worth getting hold of The Seige of Paris too.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Wading my way through a trio of Michael Crichton thrillers, Next, Micro and Prey. Well researched, if somewhat far-fetched, page-turners. What I think of as "waiting at the station" reading.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Roy

the "What are you currently reading ?" thread on this forum. (has another smartass said that before me?)

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Lemmy - stop bulling the junior officers.

IanS  >:(
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

14 September 2014, 04:43:05 PM #745 Last Edit: 14 September 2014, 04:50:07 PM by mad lemmey
Sorry. :(

Leman

Re-reading Field of Battle Second Edition as I'm thinking of giving it a SYW outing.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 September 2014, 04:10:31 PM
Lemmy - stop bulling the junior officers.IanS  >:(

Can I bully them ?
Cheers - Phil  ;)

Roy

:)

Often I find myself perusing this, while visiting the necessary. I can't drive though  ;D

Totally absorbing.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

fsn

I'm reading "Battles of the Dark Ages" by Peter Marren.

Hence http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10584.0.html

I'm not getting at Mr Marren. I've shelled out for several of the Bretwalda Battles series and had much the same result. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!