What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Osprey's MAA, The Ottoman Army 1914-18.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 August 2014, 01:54:50 AM
Sending fsn a friendly and reassuring hug. Had no intention of even appearing to be trying to attempt to have a go at mauling him.

I took it to be a friendly mauling in the search for knowledge.  >:<

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 August 2014, 10:36:42 PM
A thousand Greek vases can't be wrong...

Well, LindyB makes the point that the overhand possibly more useful in a heroic one-to-one, but the vases that show groups of troops are more likely to be underhand.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Re-reading the Maurice rules prior to my next game. May have overegged the National characteristics last time round so hoping for an improved game by randomly selecting two only of those cards. Will be using the Grand Marquisate of Flamboyance army.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Malbork

QuoteFinished "Vespasian" (Tribune of Rome).....Was damn excellent (Thanks again, Ray !)
Now on to "Warrior of Rome" (The Wolves of the North) by Harry Sidebottom.

Enjoying it so far.....Though I was a bit put off by some of the names of the characters....(Maybe it was the way the reader was pronouncing them, to start with).
Not quite Sillius Soddus & Biggus Dikkus......But.......Close enough to wonder whether I was listening to a spoof, early on.

I like the Vespasian saga, although they seem a little liek children's books at times. Currently on Volume IV, with the emperor to be trying to get one of Varus' eagles back.
The warrior of Rome series however left me cold. Read the first one,but gave up on this particular one.  Learning worn a little too heavily for my liking....

Nick Brown's Agent of Rome series is a bit lighter and has some interesting characters; Recommended if you like Roman fiction.

At the moment reading Collision of Empires about the opening months of WWI on the Eastern Front, before launching into Solzhenitsyn's August 1914 again. Tried to reread this a few years ago and got stuck so I'm hoping that the centenary will give the spur I need to get to the end. :)

Techno

Quote from: Malbork on 07 August 2014, 12:49:48 PM
I like the Vespasian saga, although they seem a little liek children's books at times. Currently on Volume IV, with the emperor to be trying to get one of Varus' eagles back.
The warrior of Rome series however left me cold. Read the first one,but gave up on this particular one.  Learning worn a little too heavily for my liking....
Nick Brown's Agent of Rome series is a bit lighter and has some interesting characters; Recommended if you like Roman fiction.

Thanks, M.

I think I know what you mean re the 'Warrior' book.
It's been something to listen too.....But it hasn't 'grabbed me' in the same way as the 'Vespasian ones'.
I can tell I haven't truly enjoyed it, as I haven't concentrated on it properly.
Cheers - Phil

Malbork

Techno,

just remembered another good Roman read: Britannia, Part I: The wall by somebody Denham. Bit of an uninspiring title but the tale rolls along well enough - set just as Roman power is declining and everyone is going up and over the wall; I haven't quite finished it because I stupidly left it at my father in law's, but three-quarters of the way in.  I'll definitely be looking out of others in this series

Techno

kipt

Just finished "The Battleship Era" by Peter Padfield.  Used book, not sure where I bought it, but printed in 1972.

Great book on the development of the battleship.

Hertsblue

In the middle of Bretheren by Robyn Young. The Crusades from both sides at the same time. Touted as a Sunday Times best-seller. Not sure why, though. Lacks a little medieval atmosphere to me.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

09 August 2014, 10:07:14 AM #684 Last Edit: 09 August 2014, 10:24:30 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: Malbork on 07 August 2014, 03:47:48 PM
Britannia, Part I:The Wall... set just as Roman power is declining...

omnia in omnibus, later modo es alter in muro.

o magister! noli pueros laedere illos!

ravis ab roseis
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

According to Google translate:

all in all, brick way, you are on the wall.

O Master! Children do not hurt them!

gray from rosy
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

FierceKitty

I think I've sorted out the Moleworthian Latin by now. It's been a very long time.