What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Not to mention Die Kunst der Fuge, the requiem mass, Edwin Drood, Sanditon....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

Just finished Penumbra by Eric Brown. Well told, middle-of-the-road sci-fi. Must see if I can find more.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

freddy326

Just started The Siege of Brest 1941: A Legend of Red Army Resistance on the Eastern Front by Aliev, Rostislav

cameronian

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 16 June 2014, 09:55:05 PM
     Armies of Bismarck's Wars: the Prussian Army 1860-67 by Bruce Bassett-Powell   -   the first half is a very good analysis of the development of both the Prussian army and navy. The second half is an in depth description of the organisation and uniforms. There are 23 colour plates very much in the style of MAA illustrations. Much of the info can also be applied to 1870, especially as numerous units entered the war still wearing the pre-1867 uniform. 

Arrived today so only a brief look; bit disappointed by the quality of the B&W plates, also one caption, Prussian Infantry crossing the Bistritz is a bit misleading since I can see boats in the background and also mountains; the Bistritz it is not  ;D however that said its good to have books on the period so I won't get hypercritical.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

FierceKitty

A Study in Scarlet. Victorian pulp is always fun to relax with.

fsn

I'm reading "A Storm of Spears: Understanding the Greek Hoplite in Action [Kindle Edition] " by Christopher Matthew, or possibly Matthew Christopher. Ought to be a law against people having two given names and not a proper family name. Saul David - he's another one, and that Elton John. Still, who'd want to be called Reg?

"A Storm of Spears" is a very detailed analysis of the Hoplite in action - sort of as the name suggests. The Author makes a very good case for the overhand use of the spear being heroic rather than practical and argues persuasively for hoplites standing obliquely in line (rather than full front or side on) and using the spear underhand. The plethora of overhand poses on vases he suggests are either javelins, or a convention based on the memory of javelins, and perhaps all the better to show off the figure.

I have some problems with his thesis. Potters were probably part time hoplites, so I would have thought a few would have said "this is all wrong, I'm going to put underhand spear action", but the book is very interesting, and very detailed.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

What is the evidence for oblique files? It sounds a heck of a lot more difficult to me. And even pikes were used at high port in modern times (and, indeed, bayonettes).

toxicpixie

I s'pose if you see promo piccies of footballers they're all running heroically around kicking the ball, not writhing on the floor in simulated agony or biting people...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

But there's a difference between what they're intended and trained to do, and what they are compelled to do by circumstances (like having someone jab a spear into their necks).

I am reminded of Peter Greenhalgh speaking about the Dendras cuirass: "If Hector had been wearing one of these, he would be alive to this day."

fsn

The files weren't oblique, the hoplites stood with the body slightly turned - left foot forward allowing more play for the right spear-holding hand. The book maintains that the hoplite didn't stand full on, or totally sideways like a fencer. The shield wall would be solid and in close formation, overlapping.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

paulr

Quote from: fsn on 08 July 2014, 01:17:30 PM
I'm reading "A Storm of Spears: Understanding the Greek Hoplite in Action [Kindle Edition] " by Christopher Matthew, or possibly Matthew Christopher. Ought to be a law against people having two given names and not a proper family name. Saul David - he's another one, and that Elton John. Still, who'd want to be called Reg?

If you think those names are bad ... when I was at Uni Alan Meredith was introduced to ... Meredith Alan ... they got married and she is now Dr Meredith Meredith  ;D ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I've always regretted that my little lady wouldn't agree to our adding each other's surnames to our own and becoming Lertanantawong-Hay-Whitton. And, indeed, my previous wife was a van Pletzen; if we'd gone the same road too, I could have had a really super-silly surname by now.

Ah, well, nobody's become Major Major Major Major yet....

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 08 July 2014, 05:58:47 PM
The files weren't oblique, the hoplites stood with the body slightly turned - left foot forward allowing more play for the right spear-holding hand. The book maintains that the hoplite didn't stand full on, or totally sideways like a fencer. The shield wall would be solid and in close formation, overlapping.

Heath makes the fairly obvious point that the overlapping big shields were a major reason for the hoplite phalanx, and precluded the underarm thrust. He adds that in Hellenistic times, the formation may have become less dense (but then the hoplite was becoming something like the Gloucester Gladiators at Malta in WWII).

fsn

Matthew suggests the spear was not held underarm, but couched. The point would then project between the curves of the two shields.

FierceKitty

Wouldn't that make for a rather feeble thrust? Little room to extend or swing your arm. A hoplite isn't propelled by a big horse.