What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My Classics Professor described 'the average Roman's personal politics as being somewhere to the right if Hitler, to the Left of Stalin and behind Gehengis Khan'!
If you read Terry Jones' 'Barbarians' it is very clear that Rome went into Dacia with one aim, extermination!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 June 2014, 09:00:58 PM
it is very clear that Rome went into Dacia with one aim, extermination!

I think that's a little unfair ... they were keen to loot anything worth having too :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Hertsblue

Quote from: Techno on 06 June 2014, 05:55:36 PM
Finished listening to "Vespasian...Rome's Executioner"
Really enjoyed it.....I assume it weaved a certain amount of 'colour' fiction in with historical facts.

Those rulers in ancient Rome weren't very nice people, were they ?  ;)
Complete & utter b******s would be nearer the mark.

Cheers - Phil

You did exactly what I did, Phil, and started reading the series in the middle. If you get the first book Tribune of Rome it fills in some of the missing detail.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

I'll see if the library has got (can get) any of the others, Ray.
Thanks for the info ! :)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Catastrophe: Europe Goes To War 1914. I've only just started this, so I'm still in the pre-war phase, but Max Hasting's take on events is fascinating. Like the book I've just read on the Prussian army of the 1860s, it's really well written and a very good read. As I said, his take on events is quite an eyeopener, eg. Gavrilo Princip killed the only man in Austria with the intent and power to prevent war with Russia; a number of influential Russians did not trust their French allies, and as for the Serbs.....! Anyone interested in the events of 1914 should give this a look.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

What book was that (the one on the Prussian Army in the 1860s); have you read Sleepwalkers?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Fenton

Reading The Great War by Les Carlyon again
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Just finished listening to "Even" by Andrew Grant.
Totally over the top.....Involving a sort of 'black ops'  agent from Royal Navy Intelligence....and some very naughty bad people.
I loved it.

Now onto "The prayer of the night shepherd", by Phil Rickman....Bit slow at the moment....I'm waiting for the murders to start. :D
Cheers - Phil

Leman

Quote from: cameronian on 16 June 2014, 12:40:04 PM
What book was that (the one on the Prussian Army in the 1860s); have you read Sleepwalkers?
Armies of Bismarck's Wars: the Prussian Army 1860-67 by Bruce Bassett-Powell   -   the first half is a very good analysis of the development of both the Prussian army and navy. The second half is an in depth description of the organisation and uniforms. There are 23 colour plates very much in the style of MAA illustrations. Much of the info can also be applied to 1870, especially as numerous units entered the war still wearing the pre-1867 uniform. 

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

cameronian

Reading the late JG Farrell's 'Singapore Grip' again for the umpteenth time, such a tragedy that he died so young, 'Troubles' and 'The Siege of Krishnapur' are equally good.

haupt

War of the Worlds,Aftermath. Very steampunky with appearances of a young Churchill,and an unnamed Sherlock Holmes   

FierceKitty

Quote from: cameronian on 17 June 2014, 07:00:32 PM
Reading the late JG Farrell's 'Singapore Grip' again for the umpteenth time, such a tragedy that he died so young, 'Troubles' and 'The Siege of Krishnapur' are equally good.

I must watch out for the other two; enjoyed The Siege of Krishnapur too. TY for the alert.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

cameronian

His final novel 'The Hill Station' is also good but v frustrating as it runs out before the end (author drowned in fishing accident, so tragic, fell into sea, had suffered from polio in later life with resulting loss of power to upper body, couldn't get back ashore), it would have been the final in the Empire Quartet, appositely dealing with the British withdrawal from India. Such a loss.