What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

In the past few weeks...
Listened to 'Flesh wounds' by Chris Brookmyre, 'Deadly Business' by Quintin Jardine, 'Chasing Darkness' by Robert Crais and 'The Uninvited' by Liz Jensen.
First three were very enjoyable, but 'The Uninvited' fizzled out quite spectacularly.
I'd describe it as a sort of sci/fi supernatural 'thriller', and it was fairly creepy for the first half of the story but ended as a 'damp squib'.

I really should be listening to my own copy of 'Claudius' while I'm making the 'Imperial Romans'..but I've borrowed too many books from the library to give that one another listen for the time being. ;)

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 25 April 2014, 07:39:37 AM
I really should be listening to my own copy of 'Claudius' while I'm making the 'Imperial Romans'..but I've borrowed too many books from the library to give that one another listen for the time being. ;)

I'd suggest Simon Scarrow's Macro and Cato series as inspiration for Early Imperial Romans rather than "I, Clavdivs"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

25 April 2014, 11:50:54 AM #542 Last Edit: 25 April 2014, 12:07:20 PM by Techno
Hi I.

"CLAVDIVS" is a fictionalized account of the Romans invading our fair shores, set around 43AD.....I assume that the author (Douglas Jackson) has done a fair old bit of research and then 'shoehorned' that into parts of the story itself....I suppose I would describe it as an historical 'thriller'....But it's very enjoyable.  ;)
Lots of political intrigue....Lots of battles....and what I assume is a reasonable amount of accuracy.
Cheers - Phil :)

(And it's got a 'hefferlump' in it too.)

Ithoriel

25 April 2014, 12:45:09 PM #543 Last Edit: 25 April 2014, 01:52:04 PM by Ithoriel
Oh, that one. More appropriate than the more political "I Claudius" right enough. My recollection is of a little too much graphic violence for my taste and of a book that could have done with a bit of careful pruning in the third quarter of the story but a good read none the less.

Still recommend Scarrow over this :)

Edited to deal with predictive text  >:(  Scarrow NOT Sparrow  =)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Techno on 25 April 2014, 11:50:54 AM

The grammar on this forum is slipping again, it's 'han hefferlump'.  :P
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 25 April 2014, 12:45:09 PM
Oh, that one. More appropriate than the more political "I Claudius" right enough. My recollection is of a little too much graphic violence for my taste and of a book that could have done with a bit of careful pruning in the third quarter of the story but a good read none the less.Still recommend Sparrow over this :)

Thanks I. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 25 April 2014, 01:04:43 PM
The grammar on this forum is slipping again, it's 'han hefferlump'.  :P

Of course.....What a mistake-a-to-make !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

Quote from: Ithoriel on 25 April 2014, 10:06:03 AM
I'd suggest Simon Scarrow's Macro and Cato series as inspiration for Early Imperial Romans rather than "I, Clavdivs"

Try Robert Fabbri's "Vespasian" series if you like blood and guts combined with a well-researched plot line. The latest book, The Lost Eagle of Rome covers the Claudian invasion of Britain.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

burnaby64

Currently reading 'The Game of Kings' by Dorothy Dunnett and enjoying it greatly. It's about 40-50 years old but somehow I missed it until now. Six fat volumes in the series set between 1547 and 1558 all over Europe and beyond.

howayman

Rereading Okinawa 1945 by Ian Gow.
Recommend it if you're interested in that era.
Hopefully will get me moving on my 10mm Japanese force again, sort of hit a wall with them.
Is the Game of Kings actual-historical or pseudo-historical ?

burnaby64

"Is it actual-historical or pseudo-historical?" Hard to say as I've only started volume one. The basis is in Scottish history certainly and many of the characters are actual historical figures. I'll have to read a good bit more before I can give an informed answer.

Si Tyler

Tannenberg Clash of Empires - Dennis E. Showalter

Cracking account of the build up of the German and Russian forces in early 1914 and the initial engagements.  Lots of blundering around with poor reconnaissance, lots of opportunity for smaller engagements such as Landwehr brigades (both mixed and infantry brigade compositions vs Russians.

and backing it up

Imperial German Army 1914 - 18; Organisation, structure, Orders of Battle - Hermann Cron, Translated by C.F. Colton, MA

cameronian

Quote from: Techno on 25 April 2014, 11:50:54 AM
Hi I.

"CLAVDIVS" is a fictionalized account of the Romans invading our fair shores, set around 43AD.....I assume that the author (Douglas Jackson) has done a fair old bit of research and then 'shoehorned' that into parts of the story itself....I suppose I would describe it as an historical 'thriller'....But it's very enjoyable.  ;)
Lots of political intrigue....Lots of battles....and what I assume is a reasonable amount of accuracy.
Cheers - Phil :)

I thought 'I CLAVDIVS' was written by Robert Graves ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Ithoriel

"I, Claudius" is about the Emperor Claudius and intrigue among the upper classes while "Claudius" is about the Claudian invasion of Britain as viewed by, among others, a Roman heffalump keeper. I think we need a meerkat to front a campaign to distinguish the two. Simples :)

Steve J

"The Red Army Handbook" by Zaloga and Ness. Full of wonderful bits of information that I'm finding very useful for future use for wargames. Not a light read by any means but a great book none-the-less.

Si Tyler

"Home before the leaves fall - A New History of the German invasion of 1914" by Ian Senior.