What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt J

QuoteIt may seem a trifle harsh, but Matt has gone into the 'normal' black book for laughing.

:o no fair!

(Its all FSN's fault, my mom says I shouldn't sit by him)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Quote from: Techno on 03 April 2014, 12:04:27 PM
Now on to 'The Quarry' by Ian Banks.The 'hero' is portrayed as a tad 'strange' (very 'hyper')....But done sympathetically.....Quite enjoying it...Even though he admits to playing the EE's games on his computer early on in the story. ;)Cheers - Phil

Don't worry Matt.
Life has just got its own back on me....... =)
The story (above) that I was quite enjoying, seemed to have a very abrupt and unfinished 'ending'......Until I checked, and found that the final CD was missing.
The fact that there was no "We hope you have enjoyed....Other titles available from Isis Audio Books etc"...Should have set alarm bells ringing.
I presume that the last person that borrowed it has either left it in his or her CD player, or put it back into the case of another 'book' he/she had at the time :'( :'( :'(

Damn Oik !!
Cheers - Grumpy of Wales. ;)

fsn

I suppose I'll get the blame for that as well!

:P

PS They all die, but I don't know if I care or not.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 08 April 2014, 11:59:13 AM
I suppose I'll get the blame for that as well!  :P

Yup !!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 08 April 2014, 11:51:44 AM
Don't worry Matt.
Life has just got its own back on me....... =)
The story (above) that I was quite enjoying, seemed to have a very abrupt and unfinished 'ending'......Until I checked, and found that the final CD was missing.
The fact that there was no "We hope you have enjoyed....Other titles available from Isis Audio Books etc"...Should have set alarm bells ringing.
I presume that the last person that borrowed it has either left it in his or her CD player, or put it back into the case of another 'book' he/she had at the time :'( :'( :'(

Damn Oik !!
Cheers - Grumpy of Wales. ;)

Thats happened to me more than enough...I download them from the library instead
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

burnaby64

Just finished Peter Green's 'Alexander of Macedon'. V enjoyable and informative. Scholarly, detailed (good on battles) and witty: "We may doubt, then, that Archelaus' support for the arts made any impression beyond his immediate entourage. Most Macedonian nobles preferred the more manly pleasures of hunting, carousing, and casual fornication. Sodomy--with young boys or, at a pinch, with each other-- they also much enjoyed; but they had no intention of letting it be contaminated with decadent Platonic notions of spiritual uplift."

cameronian

Quote from: Maj Gen von Wedel-Wedelsborg on 08 April 2014, 07:04:34 PM
Just finished Peter Green's 'Alexander of Macedon'. V enjoyable and informative. Scholarly, detailed (good on battles) and witty: "We may doubt, then, that Archelaus' support for the arts made any impression beyond his immediate entourage. Most Macedonian nobles preferred the more manly pleasures of hunting, carousing, and casual fornication. Sodomy--with young boys or, at a pinch, with each other-- they also much enjoyed; but they had no intention of letting it be contaminated with decadent Platonic notions of spiritual uplift."

If you like this period I recommend Mary Renault's 'The Alexander Trilogy', excellent.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

burnaby64

Agreed. I read them a while back and should re-read them. I was hooked on the Greeks in Persia after doing a book of the 'Anabasis' for O Grade Greek back in 1965. Renault captures that world beautifully.

Hussargeneral

Christian Cameron, the long war series. Very similar to Bernard Cornwell but set during the Greek Persian Wars.

burnaby64

Quote from: Hussargeneral on 08 April 2014, 07:51:40 PM
Christian Cameron, the long war series. Very similar to Bernard Cornwell but set during the Greek Persian Wars.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put it on the list!

marie

Hertsblue

Quote from: marie on 08 April 2014, 10:22:01 PM
Beasts of no nation

Is that a title, Marie, or just your general opinion of the forum?  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

burnaby64

An old, battered volume of Punch, got for a ten bob note at a jumble sale decades back, full of fine Tenniel cartoons relating to the Zulu and Afghan Wars plus some witty cartoons by du Maurier on the aesthetic movement of the period involving Mrs Ponsonby de Tomkyns and Mr & Mrs Cimabue Brown. Great stuff. Bismarck is depicted in cuirassier uniform with cigar and tankard of Black Velvet throughout: stereotyipng or what?