What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Finished listening to the Siege of Khartoum....Thought it wasn't too bad at all.
Now on to 'The Quarry' by Ian Banks.

The 'hero' is portrayed as a tad 'strange' (very 'hyper')....But done sympathetically.....Quite enjoying it...Even though he admits to playing the EE's games on his computer early on in the story. ;)
Cheers - Phil

freddy326

Just finished Thunder in May and following it with Seelowe Nord both by Andy Johnson, I'm trying to get my early WWII mojo back!!

Ithoriel

"Arena" by Simon Scarrow and T. J. Andrews. A prequel to the Macro and Cato series.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Hertsblue

Having been initiated into Robert Fabbri's Vespasian series I've just had to read all the rest of them. Finished Rome's Tribune, No 1, and now halfway through Rome's Executioner, No 2, I'm well immersed.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

My father dropped off three of the Vespasian series last time he was here. Looking forward to reading them.

Andrzej Sapkowski's "Time of Contempt" (part of the Witcher series) up next though, after Arena.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

GordonY

Wading through the entire Terry Pratchett Discworld novels, a cracking read.

Fenton

I am re reading Thief of Time as I type
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

cameronian

07 April 2014, 07:40:42 PM #517 Last Edit: 07 April 2014, 07:42:46 PM by cameronian
'Soldier Sahibs'; interesting history of the Sikh Wars and the Young Men on the North-West Frontier around the middle of the 19th century.
Lots of interesting personal accounts though slightly confusing with all of the characters, functions and positions that keep whirling around. Some decent maps throughout the book would have been nice too! Really hate having to look up that one map everytime and then find out that the town or pass mentioned in the text is not on it... Sad

Ah well, I'll get used to it... someday...

Drives me nuts; maps with no N-S axis, no scale and half the places mentioned in the text omitted, grrrrrrrrrr  >:(
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

marie

Fenton

Quote from: marie on 07 April 2014, 08:42:39 PM
Train spotters weekly

Really ?

Do you have issue 603?, the one with the Double converse bogie controversy?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Excuse me. I think you'll find that under Section 6, Sub Section 4, Paragraph 3c of the "Pendraken Forum, Purchasers and Members Commentary", (version 6, with annotated maps and glossary) it clearly states that "Any that mention M____ R_______ in anything except a lampooning, derogatory or humorous purpose or as a matter of ridicule, shall fall forfeit as befits and amuses the Slightly Soiled Lord (now the Dark Lord) in whatever mood he shall be when presented with the accusation."

You two are in trouble!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

Quote from: fsn on 07 April 2014, 09:48:39 PM

You two are in trouble!

Is that in a pretending to post as somebody else even after Aprils Fools day is over and being called an oik and being put in the 'Very Extra Special, just wait till I get to you' black book sort of trouble?

fsn

Well, I don't want to be the only one outside the headmaster's office.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

It HAS gone in to the very Special Black Book reserved especially for extremely naughty boys.
It may seem a trifle harsh, but Matt has gone into the 'normal' black book for laughing.
Discipline must be maintained.
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net