What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Greenman

Just reading Secrets of the Fire Sea by Stephen Hunt . I have really come to love VSF and between Hunt and Cherie Priest I am really spoiled . I even broke one of my own rules and purchased a set of In her magestys Name rules.!

Hertsblue

Just begun Terry Pratchett's latest, Raising Steam. Not hard to tell that Pratchett is a steam fan. Looking good so far.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Hertsblue

Ah, Christmas, what would would we read without it?  :D

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

www.rulesdepot.net

skywalker

I must be going through an aviation phase at the moment :-[
I have just read The Vulcan Story 1952-2002 by Tim Laming, which was a good read for anyone like me who used to love watching those gracefull beasts at airshows.
My wife bought me Goosepool, The History of RAF and RCAF Middleton St George and Teesside Airport by Stanley D Howes which gives a good history of the airport and the crews who flew from there.

Elliesdad

All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To - by Stuart Laycock.
Quite enjoyable. It just goes to show how bellicose we Brits are.

It needed spell-checking though (the example that springs to mind is the word Napoloen/Napoloenic).

A fine addition my my porcelain library.

Geoff

Techno

Been listening to 'Bomber' by Len Deighton over the past couple of days while I've been pushing putty around.
(The Radio 4 adaptation from years ago.).....

I was MOST impressed....Got totally involved in it even though it was fictional.
That was a £3 bargain from the local market !....Looked up what people wanted for it on Amazon....Stroll on !!
Cheers - Phil.

cameronian

Quote from: Techno on 31 December 2013, 11:08:38 AM
Been listening to 'Bomber' by Len Deighton over the past couple of days while I've been pushing putty around.
(The Radio 4 adaptation from years ago.).....

I was MOST impressed....Got totally involved in it even though it was fictional.
That was a £3 bargain from the local market !....Looked up what people wanted for it on Amazon....Stroll on !!
Cheers - Phil.

I found Bomber genuinely harrowing, fiction, well yes but every incident (including the bombed hospital decanting its occupants into the fire) was based in fact. I first listened to it with an old Bomber Command chum of mine, DFC DFM, the real deal; the only emotion he showed was when the poor pilot threw the towel in and was LMF'd all medals to be returned; so unfair, he said, they'd just reached the end of their rope, can't do better than your best, and that from a genuine hero, he understood what they'd endured, an insight not normally vouchsafed to shiny bums.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Fenton

Quote from: Hertsblue on 29 December 2013, 05:44:14 PM
Just begun Terry Pratchett's latest, Raising Steam. Not hard to tell that Pratchett is a steam fan. Looking good so far.

I knew there was something I forgot to ask for on my Christmas list
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Quote from: cameronian on 31 December 2013, 01:25:14 PM
I found Bomber genuinely harrowing, fiction,

Definitely Cam.....But I couldn't stop listening.....It was so well done......In many respects far too well.....Although fiction, it was very uncomfortable (to say the least)....Certainly as I was assuming a lot of the 'plot' was 'lifted' from real events/happenings.

Cheers - Phil.

NTM

Just finished Al Murray's 'Watching War films with my Dad' a great read and much of it similar to my own experiences/outlook

Russell Phillips

I'm reading Devils With Wings by Harvey Black. It's about a Fallschirmjager platoon in WWII, first in Poland, then assaulting Eben Emael.

It's very good, a real page-turner.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk
Russell Phillips
Books and articles about military technology and history
www.rpbook.co.uk

fsn

Quote from: NTM on 31 December 2013, 03:42:30 PM
Just finished Al Murray's 'Watching War films with my Dad' a great read and much of it similar to my own experiences/outlook

Just started it. It's actually quite interesting - not what I was expecting at all!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!