What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "1945: What if Japan hadn't surrendered in World War II?" by Robert Conroy.  As the title says, Japan did not, even after the bombs were dropped.  The coup by General Anami succeeds and Hirohito is taken away and kept incognito.  His recording is not sent.

OSS, invasion of Japan, many kamikazes, Japanese submarine I-58 and hard combat.  Interesting for an escape.

mollinary

'Warlord'. Bernard Corwell's last  Uhtred novel. Two chapters in, and loving it!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

sean66

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 18 October 2020, 07:39:59 AM
The Osprey  book on SA80 Assault Rifles by Neil Grant - somewhat depressing reading
they were a somewhat depressing rifle to fire ! definitely a comedown after an SLR.
Regards
Sean

flamingpig0

Quote from: sean66 on 20 October 2020, 09:10:33 AM
they were a somewhat depressing rifle to fire ! definitely a comedown after an SLR.
Regards
Sean
I can only imagine, because much like the designers of the SA80  I have never fired a firearm
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Raider4

Quote from: sean66 on 20 October 2020, 09:10:33 AM

Going from a 7.62 to 5.56 round? Not surprised. (See also US forces going from the M14 to M16.)

sean66

Quote from: Raider4 on 20 October 2020, 11:40:44 AM
Going from a 7.62 to 5.56 round? Not surprised. (See also US forces going from the M14 to M16.)
that was due to NATO Standardization practices. everyone was adopting the 5.56mm round.

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 20 October 2020, 10:36:55 AM
I can only imagine, because much like the designers of the SA80  I have never fired a firearm
the original SA80 design was the late 50's early 60's (if i remember correctly). most of the designers hadnt been involved in the previous Wars.

regards
Sean

Ithoriel

An "uncle", actually a second cousin once removed or something similar, once commented that the SA80 was "not so much a weapon as the governments contempt for it's soldiery made manifest." I don't think he was a fan!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DaveH

Mark Zuelkhe Forgotten Victory: First Canadian Army and the Cruel Winter of 1944-45 - interesting read about Operation Veritable. Not sure it would be a great campaign to wargame given how much it turned into similar conditions to WW1 with extremely wet weather and terrain and frontal attacks forced by the conditions.

Ithoriel

Quote from: DaveH on 20 October 2020, 04:38:03 PM
Mark Zuelkhe Forgotten Victory: First Canadian Army and the Cruel Winter of 1944-45 - interesting read about Operation Veritable. Not sure it would be a great campaign to wargame given how much it turned into similar conditions to WW1 with extremely wet weather and terrain and frontal attacks forced by the conditions.

Yes, the attacks up the causeways were a grinding match. The amphibious landings seem to have been pretty much a walkover. Neither much fun to game.

A fascinating campaign none the less and one for which the Canadians did not get the recognition they deserved.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

sean66

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 October 2020, 04:52:43 PM
Yes, the attacks up the causeways were a grinding match. The amphibious landings seem to have been pretty much a walkover. Neither much fun to game.

A fascinating campaign none the less and one for which the Canadians did not get the recognition they deserved.

a lot of the slogwork at the end of WW2 didn't get the recognition it deserved. the newsmen at the time (and subsequent historians) are more enamored to the Armoured Thrusts and cult personalities. the Battles around and through the Hurtgen forest were also treat just as shabbily
(especially when they didn't even need to be fought)
regards
Sean 

Steve J

Quotethat was due to NATO Standardization practices. everyone was adopting the 5.56mm round.

IIRC, if you were hit by a 7.62mm round in the arm or leg, you were likely to bleed to death before help could arrive etc. With the 5.56mm round, it would disable you but not kill you, thus requiring two soldiers to extrract you, the medical logistics getting 'over loaded' etc. Also I believe that it was a much more accurate wapon than the SLR...

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Steve J on 21 October 2020, 02:23:31 PM
IIRC, if you were hit by a 7.62mm round in the arm or leg, you were likely to bleed to death before help could arrive etc. With the 5.56mm round, it would disable you but not kill you, thus requiring two soldiers to extrract you, the medical logistics getting 'over loaded' etc. Also I believe that it was a much more accurate wapon than the SLR...

Warsaw Pact NBC tactics held to the same theory...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: sean66 on 21 October 2020, 09:28:50 AM
a lot of the slogwork at the end of WW2 didn't get the recognition it deserved. the newsmen at the time (and subsequent historians) are more enamored to the Armoured Thrusts and cult personalities. the Battles around and through the Hurtgen forest were also treat just as shabbily
(especially when they didn't even need to be fought)
regards
Sean 

There are a few highlights.
I read (long ago, so some details may be incorrect) that the Prinz Eugen surrendered to a British Carrier platoon, part of a force Liberating Denmark.
One of a few naval captures by land forces since the French Cavalry caught the icebound Dutch fleet at Den Helder.

Plenty of other grim stuff, liberation of camps (POW or "concentration"), liberating starving towns after the hongerwinter...

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Steve J on 21 October 2020, 02:23:31 PM

I was at school at the time, and we had an MOD fellow visit and talk about new weapons.

He popped up a few graphs about kinetic energy (1/2 M V^2) to advocate a smaller faster bullet.
We also got some slowmo of a 5.56 cutting through ballistic gel, with particularly nasty cavitation at each end of its range.
The comparable 7.62 stuff tended to go through cleaner and exit before expending most of its energy.

After that some discussion of the "casualty epidemic" - the usual 2 comrades required to evacuate one wounded man (You never see that in Enemy at the Gates type films).
Some really unpleasant stuff about ballistic shock, necrosis and the battlefield surgery necessary to survive it.

At that point one of the "Hard lads" who did Cadets and was a notorious school bully lurched out of the seat and emptied his stomach just outside the classroom door.

The finale saw the MOD guy explain that the Brits actually wanted a smaller faster round, but Nato insisted on the 556.
Then a bit of 16mm to reassure the small calibre doubters that the Army retained enough big calibre "blow sh*t up" capability to keep te pesky forriners on their sides of the borders.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 18 September 2020, 08:36:42 AM
Finished with all the computer textbooks, now reading:

The Infantry Attacks - Erwin Rommel.

So far, an excellent read, well presented, and very accessible.
Quite a contrast to other stuff I've read by German authors that tends to be quite heavy going.
I don't know whether that's a problem for the authors or translators.

Finished.
I did rather bog down with descriptions of the larger actions in the Italian campaign.
The earlier pieces, 1914 in France and mountin trooping in Romania were highly accessible.

Well worth a read, through I'd advise using something like Google maps to follow the terrain.