What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 August 2020, 07:47:19 PM
Just started "Hellenistic And Roman Naval Warfare 336 BC - 31 BC"

Let me know if it provokes any thoughts on how to make galley games interesting....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ben Waterhouse

Just onto volume three of Shelby Footes Civil War Trilogy - Red River to Appomattox. I know the flaws, but the writing is sublime.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

mmcv

Quote from: FierceKitty on 25 August 2020, 10:52:04 AM
Let me know if it provokes any thoughts on how to make galley games interesting....

Have a side table with a skirmish mini-game set up for whenever the galleys come into contact, then you can do a boarding raid game?

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 25 August 2020, 10:52:04 AM

My thoughts are in the opposite direction to mmcv, treat groups of galleys as units of cavalry or similar and go for a high level view...

I haven't found a set that works yet :(
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

I have been intermittently playing about with tweaks to the Poseidon's Warriors galley rules from Osprey which I quite like.

Despite my usual dislike of hexes I am going with hex movement (Inconsistent? Moi? :) )

Rather than letting players decide the order to move their squadrons I'm going with a chit pull system. Each squadron has a disc with the rating of the ship (3, 4, 5, 6 or 7) on a coloured background. Similar, but larger, mdf versions will be pulled from a bag to decide order of activation.

One or two other tweaks have come and gone and may return!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I can see it'll be happening eventually, along with WOTR and Hittites. Hmmmm, Lee's been watching Napoleonic Youtube stuff recently....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

kipt

Finished another historical fiction by Robert Conroy, "1882: Custer in Chains".  An alternate Spanish American War with Custer surviving Little Big Horn and becoming president of the US.  He and his Secretary of State feel the US needs to expand and a fortuitous war with Spain "happens".  Lots of action in Cuba; both army and navy.
Better than I thought it would be.

steve_holmes_11

Frostgrave 2nd edition.

Looks like a god 2nd edition that preserves the essence of the game, while addressing some of the most common Imbalance" gripes.
The rules layout is improved, poorly worded bits addressed and quick-reference pages at the end should speed up play.

Steve J

Just finished two years worth of old Airfix magazines. A real trip down memory lane :). Now to decide what to read next :-.

Smoking gun

Quote from: ianrs54 on 23 August 2020, 09:36:51 AM
Piggy is offering a discount til the end of the month Will

Ian,
I can't see any discount, details please.

Best wishes,
Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I got an email :-

We would like to recognise your support during 2020 and especially during lockdown.  You have been amazing.

We will be running the latest of our loyalty rewards from September 18th to October 2nd. This offer is open to you as our shopping cart has supplied your name based on your orders.

The promotion details and the small print can be found below. The promotion will be run by our shopping cart software and there are conditions to be met.

1. We cannot offer the rewards outside of the shopping cart.

2. The rewards are not available by telephone. We have no means of taking payment by phone.

3. We cannot combine orders to reach the minimum order value retrospectively.

4. The date parameters are set via the software. The start and finish dates will be automatically enforced , we apologise if this 20% discount is not at an appropriate time for you.

5. It is your responsibility to apply the code for 20% discount. This email does not apply the discount for you and this email does not put the code in a safe place where you can find it on September 18th.

6. The code can be used more than once during the two weeks if the criteria are met each time.

It may be personal to me though
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Smoking gun

Hi Ian,
Thank you, it's obviously for previous customers and not until next month.

Best wishes,
Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

kipt

Finished another alternate history book.  "MacArthur's War: A Novel Of The Invasion Of Japan" by Douglas Niles and Michael Dobsen.

Again, the Japanese win at Midway and MacArthur uses the Navy's failures to be in overall command in the whole Pacific theater. Progression through the island chains he actually fought for into the Philippines and then an invasion of Japan.  The A bomb doesn't get completed (an accident at the lab) so the invasion needs to happen.  Patton comes from Europe and MacArthur, wary of his glory, assigns Patton to a diversion; Patton of course runs wild and takes the surrender in Tokyo while MacArthur stews.

More meat that the other historical fiction.  Enjoyed it.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Bazanine 1870 France's Scapegoat.
Helion press
Great so far.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Jaron Lanier, Ten arguments for deleting your social media accounts right now, (London, 2018)

This is a witty and intelligent analysis of the ethics and business model of the big tech companies.  Recommended.