What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 18 August 2020, 04:00:47 PM
Within a couple of seconds, the book cover appears on the tablet's 'desktop' (?).......Does that mean it's done, already ? :o :o :o
Yes.

:D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Just started "Hellenistic And Roman Naval Warfare 336 BC - 31 BC"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Quote from: Techno on 18 August 2020, 04:00:47 PM
A question....Sort of book related.
How long does it take to download a kindle book onto a tablet ? Cheers - Phil

Thanks for the answers, chaps. Blimey that's pretty impressive.
No piccies....but an awful lot of text.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil you will know from here that piccies are very bit heavy
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

That's true, Ian. :)

I just couldn't believe how fast it was, even without piccies.....I think there are over 1,000 pages of text.

Cheers - Phil

whubble

The Thirty Year B)s War: Europe's Tragedy, 200 pages in, still on the background before the fighting starts!  :)

kipt

Finished "On The Road To Total War: The American Civil War and the German Wars of Unification, 1861 - 1871".  This is a collection of articles presented at a conference of the same name somewhat before 1997, when this book was published.  The editors are Stig Forster and Jorg Nagler.

A long book, with varying essays grouped into six parts and a conclusion.  The parts are:
Basic Questions
Nationalism, Leadership and War
Mobilization and Warfare
The Home Front
The Reality of War
The Legacy
Conclusion

A total of 32 essays.

Very much like a college level textbook, with some essays holding more interest than others.

So, the conclusion about Total War is that it is hard to define it.  In some areas these wars approached it but in others they did not.

Ithoriel

Despite having barely started my Graeco-Roman naval tome and having the Haynes Guide to Tabletop Gaming to follow I've been back to Naval & Military Press to buy

SWORDS AND CINEMA: Hollywood VS the Reality of Ancient Warfare

EARLY SHIPS AND SEAFARING: Water Transport Beyond Europe

WARFARE IN NEOLITHIC EUROPE: An Archaeological and Anthropological Analysis

Mini-reviews to come as and when read!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

kipt

Took a break from the "serious" books and read "Tom Clancy's Endwar" by David Michaels (since Clancy is no longer with us).

A techno thriller in the Clancy style with Russian invading northern Canada.  Special forces, US 10th Mountain division, a US hunter killer sub, a Russian Boomer and female fighter pilots, one of whom needs to be rescued.

Fun and quick.

Raider4

I enjoyed Clancy's books at the time, at least up until the one where Japan starts a war with the US. After that the quality tailed off very quickly.

Don't know how I'd react if I tried to read one now - I doubt they've aged well.

kipt

A book a day: this time "1920: America's Greatest War" by Robert Conroy.  Germany invades Texas (really the Mexicans as allies of the Germans) and California.  The Crown Prince is the commander, trying to fulfill his father's, the Kaiser, dream of being the strongest power, and to annex Texas and California, as well as a couple of other states.  Germany won at the Marne in 1914, and France and Britain sued for peace.

Lot's of combat with engaging characters.  And a quick read as I said.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Weird, wad just reading up on the Mexican Revolution last night.
Blame Peter Pig - shiny!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Piggy is offering a discount til the end of the month Will
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kipt

And another Robert Conroy book finished.  "Rising Sun" where the Japanese win at Midway (their sub picket line got in place a day early and took out two of our carriers).  Japanese ships along the West coast after a Special Landing Force takes out a couple of locks on the Panama Canal).

Finally the Americans strike back in Alaska and sink 9 Japanese ships; CA's, CL's and DD's.

Finally a deception lures the Japanese fleet where the climatic battle does take place, both carriers and BB"s involved.

Again, fast read.  Fun.

T13A

Hi

Gettysburg July 1, by David G. Martin (2nd edition, the 1st edition apparently had some basic mistakes in that did not impress a battlefield guide who was taking me around the battlefield some years ago).
Very detailed but the maps could be clearer and have a legend, i.e. if you are going to show different types of fences on a map then it would be good to know which were which.

My 'go to' book for the first days action but not to keen on the writing style.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!