What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished a small booklet, "Shenandoah Valley Campaign, 1861-1862: A Study of the Strategy and Tactics" by A. Kearsey (who was a LTC of the General staff) and is a reprint by Naval and Military Press.  Probably written after WWI.

Interesting discussion about Jackson's Valley Campaign, but also about First Bull Run.  Didn't learn anything new however.

kipt

Finished the July issue, #63, of the "Gettysburg" Magazine.

Articles include:

Battery G, 1st Rhode Island Light Artillery in the Gettysburg Campaign

"Gen. Meade Showed No Disposition to Attack Us': Lee's Uncontested Escape Across the Potomac, July 14, 1863

The Army of the Potomac Artillery Reserve

and several others.  Always a good magazine.

Raider4

Quote from: kipt on 16 July 2020, 06:31:26 PM
Finished the July issue, #63, of the "Gettysburg" Magazine.

63 issues of a magazine. All about 1 battle?

kipt

Actually yes, but is does go into the before and after.  Probably an article about every brigade in both armies within some issue.

Many human interest stories as well.

T13A

Hi

Just did a quick count on my bookshelves, I have nineteen books specifically about the battle of Gettysburg or just about certain aspects of the battle (that is not counting other histories of the war which cover Gettysburg).  :)

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

mollinary

Quote from: T13A on 16 July 2020, 08:08:48 PM
Hi

Just did a quick count on my bookshelves, I have nineteen books specifically about the battle of Gettysburg or just about certain aspects of the battle (that is not counting other histories of the war which cover Gettysburg).  :)

Cheers Paul

You just prompted  me to have a look at my own shelves.  Twenty nine, if you don't  count "The Killer Angels''.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

T13A

Hi Mollinary

You now have me worried about what I am missing out on?  :'(

Cheers Paul

PS I have been lucky enough to go there twice though.  :)
T13A Out!

Steve J

Techno

Listening to "Hadrian", by Antony Everitt.

Have to admit that the first time I tried to listen to it, (ages ago) I was a bit disappointed, because I was expecting an historical novel, and I gave up after a couple of discs.
A much more academic 'book' than is my 'norm'......But I've stuck with it, and (to me) it's really very good......Though there's an awful lot of it that really is about what was happening during Hadrian's 'formative years'.

(And there's me going....."Hurry up, and go and build that wall."...all the time)

Think I'm on disc 8, now.....and he's only just reached being 'in charge'.

Cheers - Phil

Chris Pringle

"Ernest Hemingway: The collected stories", by James Fenton. Never read any Hemingway before, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy his writing style, as well as the content. Quite a few war stories of interest to us wargamers (Hemingway had plenty of personal experience of various wars). It's a grim business, apparently.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331/

Chad

Just started re-reading Phipps' 5 volumes of "Armies of the First French Republic". Then on to finalising my rules for the French Revolution

mmcv

Find I'm doing a lot less reading these days compared to audiobooks, lecture series and podcasts. Been enjoying an audiobook production of the Iliad. History of China podcast. Started Anthony Beevor's Second World War. Finished a lecture series on the rise and fall of the British Empire.

Fiction wise finished Christian Cameron's Salamis in his Long War series. Found this one a bit more of a drag than the previous ones and ended up skimming the last few chapters. Not sure if I'm just loosing my appetite for fiction or the novel was slower than normal due to being more geographically confined.

Started Empire of Bronze series by Gordon Douherty, was initially hopeful after reading the historical notes but a few chapters in and it's clearly suffered from 300ification, with dual wielding generals leaping off bridges into hordes of double-headed axe swinging barbarians.... May give it another few chapters to see if the story picks up enough to see past it but unsure.

Ithoriel

"Gladiators 100 BC–AD 200" now finished. A good summary that told me some things I didn't know and reminded me of things I had all but forgotten.

On now to "Dawn of the Horse Warriors: Chariot and Cavalry warfare 3000BC - 600BC" by Duncan Noble - a rather thicker tome.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 19 July 2020, 03:56:55 PM
"Gladiators 100 BC–AD 200" now finished. A good summary that told me some things I didn't know and reminded me of things I had all but forgotten.

Include any Roman ex-generals who desperately want to kill the Emperor?

"Are you not entertained?"

"ARE!     YOU!     NOT!     ENTERTAINED?"

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 19 July 2020, 07:13:16 PM
Include any Roman ex-generals who desperately want to kill the Emperor?

"Are you not entertained?"

"ARE!     YOU!     NOT!     ENTERTAINED?"

Alas, it's a historical treatise not a work of fantasy.

If only they'd made Maximus Decimus Meridius a wrestling coach not a gladiator he could have strangled Commodus in the bath. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data