What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "Lincoln"s Loyalists: Union Soldiers From The Confederacy" by Richard Nelson Current.

60 years reading abut the ACW and did not know how many southern Unionists there were.  The book talks about each southern state and their contribution, as well as how the men were able to join (obviously the Confederacy would try to deny them that chance.

As for numbers, the author gives these figures: Tennessee, 42,000, Virginia and West Virginia, 30,000, Arkansas, 10,000, Louisiana, 7,000, North Carolina, 5,000, Alabama, 3,000, Texas, 2,200, Florida, 1,500 and Georgia 400.  In addition, bout 2,700 rebel prisoners were recruited.  104,000 is a lot.  These are the white soldiers and there were many black soldiers as well.

He takes exception to Livermore's "Numbers and Losses" as do other more recent authors.

Interesting.

kipt

Also finished "This Mighty Scourge: Perspectives on the Civil War" by James M McPherson.

Good book.  His major headings are

I     Slavery And The Coming Of War
II   The Lost Cause Revisited
III  Architect's Of Victory
IV  Home Front And Battle Front
V    Lincoln.

This author does a good job.

kipt

Finished an interesting book given to me.  "Pen, Sword, Camisole: From the ribald, outrageous acts of lusty old men, a tale of courage, laughter and truth" by Jorge Amado, translated by Helen R. Lane.

It takes place in 1940 Brazil, where the prestigious Brazilian Academy (of 40 members) has lost one to death.  A colonel, head of the new state security (trained by the Gestapo in this new far right government by coup) sees the vacant chair as his right, based on his meager literary talents (members must be published) as a somebody in the state.  He is the only candidate.  Members rebel and essentially draft a general (also published, but who does not agree with the regime and is therefore on the retired list) who does all the correct things (presents to the members, personal visits to ask for their vote, attending the various lectures).

After much trial and tribulation, the colonel perishes and then the members become disillusioned with the general.  The members (the lusty old men in the title) have waged a guerilla campaign against the colonel and then decide to do the same to the general.

While not my usual read, it was entertaining and quick.

Techno

I've just read (oh..alright...listened to) about two/three dozen Sherlock Holmes' stories, while I've been pushing putty around.
I'll be back to all the Agatha Christie's CDs soon......It's that, or listen to H2G2.....Dr Who...Lord of the rings....Old Harry's game....Bleak expectations....Or re-listen to the umpteen borrowed stories from the local mobile library....Blank knows when I'll ever get the chance to return the 'books' from the library. ;D ;D ;D

(I've got loads of others I could listen to.....But I can't be arsed bothered......But.....I just can't listen to the radio...too depressing. :P

Hey Ho.  ;)

Cheers - Phil =)

Steve J

Radio 3 a good alternative or BBC Sounds to catch up on some excellent programmes from Radio 4 and the World Service. Does take some effort though.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno
Dorothy L Sayers is a fine, but underrated, writer.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

18 June 2020, 07:48:19 PM #3306 Last Edit: 18 June 2020, 07:51:31 PM by fsn
Oooh! Loves me some Sayers (and I don't mean greasy sausage rolls.)

You could also try Raffles by Horning, or Father Brown by Chesterton or Arsene Lupin by Leblanc.

Or you could try listening to books on YouTube on the Kindle.

Go on Phil ... click on one. Go on. Try it. It'll change your life. It'll cost you nothing but some time. You know you want to.  
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

DaveH

Kazuo Ishiguro The Buried Giant - not finished it yet but its an interesting take on Arthurian legend and memory.

Recently finished Ambrose Bierce The Complete Supernatural Stories - got it as a freebie on Kindle. Some good stories, but I wouldn't read more than a couple together as they could be a bit samey.

FierceKitty

Just finished the complete Moleworth books. It's been a while since I laughed so hard.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Caught, like a Treen in a disabled spaceship ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

19 June 2020, 07:08:37 AM #3310 Last Edit: 19 June 2020, 07:17:48 AM by Techno
Oooooh.....I might give the HP Lovecraft one a go !
Pretty sure I've listened to some Sayer's stories already....and enjoyed them.
Most of the ones I borrowed back in January, seemed to be by James Patterson (+ sidekicks).....Those were good fun.

Thanks, Nobby. :)

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Quote from: paulr on 19 June 2020, 05:40:59 AM
Caught, like a Treen in a disabled spaceship ;D

but treen spacesips brake down al the tim as any fule kno chizz chizz
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

kipt

Finished "1862" by Robert Conroy, a historical fiction book.  The American Civil War, but this time the south has been joined by the British.

Fast read; combat, sex, all the good stuff.  And the good guys won again - sorry to the British Pendraken audience.

monkeynut

Now I've got some down time I've started to re read all my old Commando comics not so much high brow but great for scenario ideas and the old nostalgic trip to my youth! No 994 Riley's Rifle is today's read with cup of tea and coconut macaroon this pm! Who said retirement would be boring!

🐵

kipt

Finished "1901" by Robert Conroy.  This time Germany decides they need the American territories taken from Spain.

President McKinley has a heart attack and VP Teddy Roosevelt becomes President.  The Germans land on Long Island and move somewhat inland.  The Kaiser expects the Americans to negotiate, but, of course, they don't.  Well written and a good story, easy to read.