What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I've enjoyed listening to the series of the 'Utred books'.

Though I have to admit that the last one felt like I'd been through it all before, as far as the plot was concerned...It just seemed a little 'samey'.
Only listened to one of the Sharpe audio books (I think it was called Sharpe' Tiger.)...That was terrific.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 February 2019, 11:09:40 PM
The sort of history book that assumes combat started in 1066 doesn't hold my attention to the bottom of the first page.
You should see the typical military history section in a British bookshop. Apparently a couple of chaps called Napoleon and Wellington merit two or three books, but the remaining dozens demonstrate quite clearly that military history started in 1914.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Have you been in Waterstones, Liverpool recently?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 25 February 2019, 06:47:11 AM
I've enjoyed listening to the series of the 'Utred books'.

Though I have to admit that the last one felt like I'd been through it all before, as far as the plot was concerned...It just seemed a little 'samey'.
Only listened to one of the Sharpe audio books (I think it was called Sharpe' Tiger.)...That was terrific.

Cheers - Phil

What if I told you that Uthred Uthredson, Richard Sharpe and James Bond are all the same guy.
And then added that Bond is clearly a different guy in different films.

Head asplode - as they say in the memes.

Orcs

SPQR by Mary Beard.  Very interesting and has given me fresh insight on to Rome, its expansion and its political nuances. Fairly easy to read.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 25 February 2019, 08:03:48 AM
What if I told you that Uthred Uthredson, Richard Sharpe and James Bond are all the same guy.

I've read the Warlord Chronicles, Azincourt and the first of the Last Kingdom books, and it is very clear that the hero in all three is exactly the same person.

Still enjoyed them though.

Ben Waterhouse

I've tried, really I have since the first Sharpe came out last century, but I can't stand Cornwall. It's the utterly ahistorical temperament and mores of the "heroes" that kills it for me.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Shedman

I must admit that I've only read one Bernard Cornwell book and that was The Fort, a novel about the Penobscot Expedition of 1779 during the American War of Independence. It wasn't brilliant and I found it hard going but it makes for a great scenario.

https://twomarshals.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-fort-muskets-and-tomahawks-scenario.html

Leman

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 25 February 2019, 09:13:07 AM
I've tried, really I have since the first Sharpe came out last century, but I can't stand Cornwall. It's the utterly ahistorical temperament and mores of the "heroes" that kills it for me.
I love Cornwall and have had many pleasant holidays there. However neither Bernard nor Patricia Cornwell manage to hold my attention for very long, apart from the Warlord Chronicles. Even then, like most of his stuff, it descends into the male version of soap opera.

kipt

Finished book 2 and 3 of the Saxon Novels, "The Pale Horseman" and "Lords of the North", by Bernard Cornwell.

Galloping good reads with lots of sword action and interesting characters.

Leman

KTravlos

Finished
Carl von Clausewitz "Napoleon's 1796 Italian Campaign" edited and translated by Dr. Nicholas Murray and Christopher Pringle.
You can read my review here  https://phdleadhead.blogspot.com/2019/03/new-salvation-episode-and-book-review.html

Ongoing
In Print Form: Onur Yildirim "Diplomacy and Displacement: Reconsidering the Turco-Greek Exchange of Populations, 1922-1934"

In e-form: Victoria Solomonidis "Greece in Asia Minor:The Greek Administration of the Vilayet of Aydin, 1919 - 1922"
which you can find at https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/files/2934862/245618.pdf

In the pipe line: Newest Legend of Galactic Heroes novel, M.MacMillan Paris 1919, J.A.Vasquez Contagion and War.

lowlylowlycook

Reading The Dark Ages by Charles Oman.  I can understand the desire to show off ones erudition but I think dropping in the word poliorcetics might have been a step to far even in the year 1893.

Ithoriel

Is it good or bad that I only know that poliorcetics is the art of siege craft because of Demetrios Poliorcetes (Demetrius he Besieger) son of Antigonus Monopthalmos (Antigonus the One-Eyed) both major players in the wars of succession after Alexander the Great's death.

A walking encyclopaedia of arcane and inconsequential facts, that's me :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 03 March 2019, 11:57:05 PM
poliorcetics 
I had two of those back in the day ... but the wheels fell off one, and the other sort of pined away.

It is a lovely word, that I shall try and add to my vocabulary.  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!