What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "The Conquest of Morocco: The bizarre history of France's last great colonial adventure, the long struggle to subdue a medieval kingdom by intrigue and force of arms, 1903-1914" by Douglas Porch.  this is the same author who wrote about the French Foreign Legion that I finished some time ago.

A lot about General Hubert Lyautey (royalist, strategist, homosexual), as it says on the intro.  Lots of little combats, politics, intrigue and descriptive history.

As the author says "The story of the conquest...is a story of people, of chaos, villainy, glory, misery, violence, greed, avarice and maladministration.  It is not a story for those who like their history neat."

Steve J

Re-starting 'The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough' and trying not to get distracted by anything else until this is finished.

kipt

Finished "The Pacific War and Contingent Victory: Why Japanese Defeat was not Inevitable" by Michael Myers.

The author's premise, as noted above, is that the Japanese were not necessarily doomed top defeat because of the industrial might of the US and Allies.  However, his case for making that statement uses possible allied missteps, mistakes and war fatigue by the general population.  He does not attribute these same problems to the Japanese other than in minor items.

It has some good history but I felt he was really flogging a dead horse and has left me entirely unconvinced.

paulr

The main Japanese hope of victory was a peace agreement after their early victories, similar to the Treaty of Portsmouth that ended the Russo-Japanese war

The American reaction to the attack on Pearl Harbour, particularly given the delay in delivering the declaration of war, made this extremely unlikely
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

KTravlos

Currently reading "Mobilization" book 5 in the Legend of Galactic Heroes series. Great stuff as always. Quote for you

"Politics is like the sewer system of a city. You need it for the city to work, but most people do not want to get anywhere the smell".

Still wrestling with Embree's "Radzestky's Marches". A great book but too detailed.

Began "The Three Funerals of Hasan Tahisn Pasha", in Greek, a biography of the ottoman general who fought against the Greeks in Macedonia in 1912, and had to surrender the city of Thessaloniki.

I wish you all a Happy New Year, with joy, health and wealth for you and yours.

kipt

Finished "Designated Targets" by John Birmingham, which is the second book in the series "the Axis of Time".  I reviewed the first book here earlier.

The premise is that a UN battlegroup from 2021 was transported back in time to the battle of Midway, intersection (sometimes physically) with the USN group on the way to Midway.  In the first book the allies are coming to terms with the new technology, not knowing that the axis has also acquired some of the new ships (random displacements of the UN battlegroup).

In this book the technology is being used by both sides, so the allies know know that the Germans and Japanese have something.  Russia has made a cease fire with Germany; both allies and axis are working frantically to make the first A-bombs, and the action continues.

Good quick read.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

kipt

And finished the last one in the series "Axis of Time".  "Final Impact" by John Birmingham.  This finishes the war, with several nukes and gas being thrown around.

The story of the Russians (and Stalin and Beria in particular) is interesting.

Japanese kamikazes have a twist, or I should say a jet assist, and take out a Russian fleet.

I forgot to mention that the USN uptime carrier is the USN Hillary Clinton, which is a hoot for a book written in 2007.  So much for prophesy.

It does leave the cold war open, perhaps another series, as Russia now has Italy and parts of France.  No one has Berlin, as it doesn't exist anymore.

Fun read.

Terry37

Starting the third book in the Extinction Cycle - Age. Really like Nicholas Smith's work - captivating and most unpredictable!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

KTravlos

I finished Tanaka's "Mobilisation" and Bruno Mungai's collected articles on the Venetian Army of the Great Turkish War in the History and Uniforms magazine. In general both were great, but both also suffered from some unpardonable translation mistakes. Both publishers need to step up.

Break is over so back to work reading. Diving into Dionysios Tsirigiotis "He Helliniki Strategeke stin Mikra Asia 1919-1922 (The Greek Strategy in Asia Minor 1919-1922) for "Salvation and Catastrophe". At the same time I will slowly continue reading "The Three Burials of Hasan Tahsin Pasha". My hope is to get out a article for the Foreign Correspondent from it.

With Respect
KTravlos

kipt

Finished "Napoleon in Italy: The Sieges of Mantua, 1796-1799" by Phillip Cuccia.

This is a very interesting book, discussing all the moves and sorties of the first siege by Napoleon.  Most books about the Italian campaign only discuss the siege in passing.  This book corrects that.

The second siege is by the Austrians (and Russians) and while having similar descriptions of the sorties etc,. it focuses on the French commander, Foissac-Latour, who, even though he was the author of a book on engineering/sieges, was more of a theoretical rather than an active commander.  Even thought the jury is still out, he may have "sold out" the city to the Austrians.  the city had supplies for 2 years, but surrendered after 3 months.

There were calls for his court-marshal but Napoleon stopped that.  Foissac-Latour was banned from wearing the French uniform and Napoleon also said he never wanted to hear about the siege again, it being a stain on the French military and honor.

Very interesting and gives a lot of insight into sieges.

Leman

Have had the dreaded Aussie flu since New Years Eve. Now on antibiotics to keep pneumonia at bay. I have been kept company by Douglas Fermer's France at Bay. I have also been using other sources to plan a 10mm crack at Villers-Bretonneux, later to be followed by Poupry, so will have to paint my Bavarians, and also the Wurttemburgers at Champigny. Reckon that will keep me busy for the next 6 months at least.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Cheers Lem, it does make the common cold feel like a stroll in the park.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

Get well soon & enjoy the planning in the meantime
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!