What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

Finished "The Amphibians Came to Conquer: The Story of Admiral Kelly Turner", Volume 1, by Vice Admiral George Dyer.

Much better than the previous book I read on Naval Logistics by Admiral Dyer.

This discusses Admiral Turner's life before, during and after Annapolis.  The major theme, besides Kelly Turner, is the invasion of Guadalcanal, but not from the combat view point.  It lists all the transports (AK's), supply ships (AP's), LST's, LCI's, DD's, Minelayers and destroyer transports in the invasion.  It discusses the logistics of the landing, buildup of supplies and establishing a base.

After Guadalcanal it goes into the invasion of the Russell island area.  Volume 2 will be the other invasions Kelly Turner was in command of the attacking forces.

cameronian

The Vanquished, Robert Gerwath, Europe in the 'peace' of 1919 - 1925, more like the Thirty Years War in places.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

kipt

Finished "The Strategy of Indirect Approach" by Liddell Hart.  This "new and enlarged addition" was published in 1946 and gives a history of wars from the Greeks to 1914 in Part I.  Part II is WWI, though when it was first written in 1929, that was the Great War.  Part III discusses WWII.

Throughout he shows how the Indirect Approach to the enemy, either by maneuver or disruption of C3 is better than head on into the enemy strength (too often what our games do, but most are tactical).

Good history and interesting to see what his discussions of future war were in the 1930's.  He thought defense would be so great due to the speed of mechanized forces that could quickly get to a threatened area, that a stalemate was possible.  Then, after WWII, he talks about Hitler's psychological approach to his enemies as another application of the Indirect Approach.

To me, one of the better Liddell Hart books that I have been reading.

KTravlos

Paret and others (including John Mearsheimer who built his early career on a de-construction of Liddle Hart http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100306410)  have attacked this specific Hart book for straining the concept of indirect approach to fit his goal, and improper use of cases. I have to agree. My reading of "The Strategy of the Indirect Approach" did smack more of a polemic than a reasoned analysis, one stacking the evidence in support of its argument is problematic ways.

kipt

I agree. LH was trying to get his views accepted more and fit the actions to his thoughts.

kipt

Finished "Victory Fever on Guadalcanal: Japan's First Land Defeat of WW II", by William Bartsch.

This is a tactical account from both the American and Japanese sides.  It is only about the combat at the Tenaru River (actually Alligator Creek).  And then only Colonel  Ichiki's first 900 man detachment.  the Colonel did not wait for the remainder of his force (Victory Fever mentality).  Out of the 916 men who arrived at Guadalcanal, only about 130 survived and of these 100 did not participate, waiting at the landing beach.

The author interviewed veterans or their families over a 10 year period.  He was also able to get Japanese accounts through a Japanese historian.

Very well written and a compelling narrative.

KTravlos

I finished book number  17 in the Aubrey-Maturin series, thus coming closer to the point were this delight will be gone from my life. Ah well, all things end.

I am now reading "The Devil's Lieutenant" by M. Fagyas.

I also finished writing two things for the hobby. A article on the activity of the Garlibaldini during the 1st Balkan War I hope to see published in the Foreign Correspondent, and a longer war-gamers resource and background piece on the Balkan Wars (for a special project).

Konstantinos

kipt

Finished issue 56 of the "Gettysburg Magazine".  Published twice a year.

Articles this issue include "the Sunrise Hours at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863" (discusses the decisions and actions of Lee and Meade).
"I Cannot Think What Has Become of Stuart" (the ramifications of the missing cavalry).
"The Hancock - Walker Correspondence" (Walker was a staff officer with Hancock and the letters are after the war discussing who was where and what happened after Hancock's wounding).

kipt

Finished "Austro-Hungarian Cruisers and Destroyers 1914-1918" by Ryan Noppen, an Osprey booklet.

Specs, drawings and pictures as per the title.  Typical Osprey naval.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

100& odd pages into latest Neal Asher, ohh its good
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kipt

Finished another Osprey, "British Light Infantry & Rifle Tactics of the Napoleonic Wars" by Philip Haythornwaite.

Again a typical Osprey with interesting illustrations.  I have all the same information elsewhere, but I buy all the Napoleonic Osprey's.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

KTravlos

Finished M.Faygas "The Devil's Lieutenant". This was a great book. If you like a good atmospheric mystery, set in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, I greatly recommend it. Depressing though.

Now reading Huseyin Sukru Ilicak "A Radical Rethinking of Empire: The Ottoman State and Society during the Greek War of Independence". Dissertation that provides a great different perspective of the  Greek Revolution. Worth reading.

Shedman

Breaking Point of the French Army: The Nivelle Offensive Of 1917 by David Murphy

Quite a high level book covering the politics, the planning, the battles, the mutinies and the aftermath

What is interesting is that the official files on the mutiny will remain closed until 2017

I've just checked the Kindle price - when I bought it on Kindle it was 99p - it is now £15.19!!!!!!

Don't bother

Leman

I haven't started any of the above.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!