What are you currently reading ?

Started by goat major, 03 November 2012, 06:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

The March to Magdala by G.A. Henty

A collection of journalist's dispatches written as Robert Napier's British expedition makes its way across Ethiopia to rescue diplomats being held hostage by the Ethiopian Emperor Tewodros II aka Theodore.  Since the Ethiopians were the opposite of united in support of the Emperor, most of the book is describing the difficulty is in road making and logistics across very difficult terrain.

Under the Red Sea Sun by Rear Admiral Edward Ellsberg

An account by an American salvage expert of his attempts to repair the port of Massawa which the Italians had destroyed before fleeing.  Very interesting and apparently a lot was accomplished with very little and despite the ports notorious climate.  However, Ellsberg was just hitting his stride when Alamein and Torch rendered his work somewhat moot.

The Sinews of War  James A Huston

An account of US logistics from the Revolution to Korea.  Recommended in this thread and I second the recommendation.

Terry37

Currently reading "Army of the Fantastic" , a collection of short of a weird world war type nature. Some very creative works in this book and for anyone who enjoys the the weird world war genre, it's a worthy read.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

freddy326

Just finished 'It never snows in September' by Robert Kershaw, couldn't get into it though. Now going to have a bash at 'A Street in Arnhem' by the same author!!

fred.

Shame you didn't get on with It Never Snows, it has great amounts of detail, but perhaps isn't that readable.

A Street in Arnhem, is a great book, much tighter focus, 1 street, admittedly a long one, rather than 80 miles of fighting. So its much more readable, as it dosen't have to cover so many units, so can focus on individuals much more. I really liked the idea of this book, as so much of the Arnhem story is about things happening at different times at different places, which is therefore pretty complex. This has the view from a static location, over a longer time period, so really provides a different view on the battle.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

Currently Reading, "'Better Begging Than Fighting' The Royalist Army in Exile in The War against Cromwell 1656-1660" by John Barrett.
A quick but well explained overview with the center piece being the "Battle of the Dunes". Many contemporary illustrations (mostly portraits) in B&W and a few color plates including three modern interpretations of common soldiers. (127 pages, vol 7 of the Century of the Soldier, Helion, 2016).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

KTravlos

I just finished the main body of Peter McPhee's "Liberty or Death: the French Revolution". I still have to read the 50 pages of notes. I will have a lot to say but for the time being this suffices

This is the DAMN GREATEST t book on the French Revolution that I have read in my life to this point. It is a masterpiece, and all secondary literature to follow will have to first deal with it. It has changed my views on many things, provided nuance were previously the vile simplifications of propaganda rule, and treats the Revolution and its actors as protagonists of their own story, rather than as actors conscripted to other plays.

A bloody masterpiece, that is what this is.

kipt

Finished "A History of the World War 1914-1918" by Liddell Hart.  This was originally published in 1930, but the edition I have is the second enlarged edition printed in 1938.

this is one of the better WWI books I have read.  He was able to talk to many of the participants, and had written about the war during the time, so was very informed.  He discusses the participants, the different battles and areas as well as the tank and the war in the air.

Enjoyed it quite a bit.

T13A

Hi

Just finished 'Mr Lincoln's Army' for about the fourth time, the first volume of Bruce Catton's story of the Army of the Potomac.
Now that man could really write, superb story telling. For any one interested in the American Civil War or simply wants to read extremely well written English prose - a must read. Very different style to the way most modern military history is written.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Techno

Listening to.....Bravo Two Zero, by 'Andy McNab.'

To start with......I imagined it was a 'true' account......But from a bit of research, it sounds like some/a fair bit of  fact dressed up with an awful lot of 'I'll make a lot of this up, to make it more exciting'.....and make my part far more heroic.

I'm treating it as 'faction' now.......

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Know what you mean. I remember at the time thinking that some of the stuff he said was fantastic but thought, "who am I to question?" (I've only read about the experience of veterans), accepted him at his word.  Wasn't it Chris Ryan who shopped him?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

lowlylowlycook

Just finished Ras Alula and the Scramble for Africa by Hagai Erlich.

It's a biography of Ras Alula (obviously) who was a leader/general in Ethiopia in the decades leading up to the Italian invasion and the battle of Adawa in 1896.  The number of betrayals and shifting alliances is worth of RR Martin. The main take away is that where previously the Italians assumption that Menelik could never keep his army together seemed quite reckless, after reading this book it seems just common sense.  Considering that it's based on the authors Ph.D. thesis and has a ton of footnotes, it quite an interesting read.

Leman

Warmaster Ancients - I think I may go down this route with my 10mm ancient armies, but use the 40mm frontage for shock troops to make them more versatile, e.g. for use with To the Strongest.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

KTravlos

Quote from: KTravlos on 11 March 2017, 12:10:19 PM
I just finished the main body of Peter McPhee's "Liberty or Death: the French Revolution". I still have to read the 50 pages of notes. I will have a lot to say but for the time being this suffices

Here is a the short review, followed by political ramblings. The start of one is clearly delineated from the other, so that you can avoid the politics.

http://blog.irstohasmoi.com/2017/03/reactions-to-peter-mcphee-liberty-or.html

Chris Pringle

Quote from: KTravlos on 21 March 2017, 07:56:39 PM
Here is a the short review, followed by political ramblings. The start of one is clearly delineated from the other, so that you can avoid the politics.

http://blog.irstohasmoi.com/2017/03/reactions-to-peter-mcphee-liberty-or.html

Thanks, Konstantinos, nice review.

KTravlos

One final point I forgot to make in the review. Reading this book just rendered the Napoleonic Wars much , much more boring compared to the 1789-1799 period. It just is not the same after McPhee's book.