Traction engine

Started by FierceKitty, 16 October 2012, 06:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Would there be support for one of these babies? You know, the big shiny things covered in huge flywheels and steam valves? Could be a beautiful tractor for heavy artillery!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_engine
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Good call - used in the Boer War as a tank, right though WWI and into the 30's.

So covers several ranges. Alsi got lots of brass on it.

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

I dread to think what the designer that makes that, would need to charge Leon. ;)
Would make a lovely model, but Leon would have to sell oodles to even get his money back on design costs.
Just my two-pees worth.
Cheers - Phil

sunjester

Given how limited the demand would probably be, I'm not sure this would be a goer. If anyone is desperate I'm sure that there is something available in the N gauge model railway ranges?

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 16 October 2012, 02:09:37 PM
I dread to think what the designer that makes that, would need to charge Leon. ;)
Would make a lovely model, but Leon would have to sell oodles to even get his money back on design costs.

Yeah, that was my first thought!  We usually need to sell anywhere between 40-80 of a vehicle before it's paid for itself, and I think that one may be true-to-life in it's sales... rather slow.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

realthing

Langley Models make a road locomotive (what I always think of as a traction engine) in N gauge that would probably do for some of the early period vehicles

mart678

They had 2 at Gallipoli saw a picture of a signals units HQ and on either side where 2 Traction engines also just think of the fun they would be in 1930's british civil wars a nice uparmoured tractionengine and trailer with a 6inch gun on the back in a turret!!!

nikharwood

Quote from: mart678 on 14 November 2012, 07:45:03 PM
They had 2 at Gallipoli saw a picture of a signals units HQ and on either side where 2 Traction engines also just think of the fun they would be in 1930's british civil wars a nice uparmoured tractionengine and trailer with a 6inch gun on the back in a turret!!!

Yep - I'm in  ;) :D

GrumpyOldMan

Hi All

I thought I'd replied to this before. Not much available in N Gauge/N Scale

Langley:-

both about the £12 mark.

Autocraft/DGM have one pictured but no details on price or if it's available:-

http://www.autocraft.plus.com/page40.html

Gem/Fleetline have this:-

at around £7.00

Rowland Miniatures have 2:-

Both about £8.

or this set:-

for £18

Just a guess on my part but the cost of sculpting and casting multi bits would put it around the 5 quid mark anyway. I'd like to see how the N Gauge match up in scale (some cars I've got from P&d Marsh were too small) but I think the Railway stuff is the way to go.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Hertsblue

Quote from: mart678 on 14 November 2012, 07:45:03 PM

If you're going to convert it to that extent you might as well go the whole hog and build it from scratch.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Rowland describe that attractive model as "2mm only". :(
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fred.

2mm in this context may mean 2mm to the foot - which is 1/150 so in scale with Pendraken.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mart678

You might be able to get a traction engine from Pendraken in the near future????

Martin