Pics from Derby!

Started by Leon, 11 October 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

11 October 2012, 03:18:51 AM Last Edit: 11 October 2012, 03:42:58 AM by Leon
It was with slight trepidation that we set off to the Derby show this year, in it's new venue at the Castle Donington Exhibition Centre.  The main reason for the worries came from this change, and whether the show could still work away from the urban surroundings of Derby University.  Online opinion prior to the event had been split, with some people happy about a bigger and more spacious venue, while others had concerns about the location and lack of public transport.

On arriving to setup on the Friday afternoon, despite the rather odd dirt track access, the first impression of the new venue was positive.  The hall is huge, almost Salute-like, although not as wide and not as brightly lit.  Space certainly wasn't going to be a problem, and we got set up quickly.  We also checked on the public transport situation as we drove by the airport, and the shuttle bus was stopping just over a mile away from the Exhibition Centre.  It's not the longest walk in the world, but when you're carrying a load of stuff for the Bring and Buy, it's a fair trek.

Saturday morning was a slow starter, but around lunchtime it picked up a lot, and trade was brisk for a good couple of hours.  Opinion among other traders was hugely varied, some reporting a better single day's trade than the whole weekend last year, while others had a very poor time of it.  Our day was a little down on last year, but not something out of the ordinary after a venue change.

Saturday evening is always one of the highlights of our weekend, as we head out with the Border Reiver lads, along with Andy from Ainsty and Stuart from Colonel Bill's this year.  After a cracking meal in nearby Castle Donington, we went in search of a further refreshment, and found ourselves in possibly the oddest pub I've ever visited.  For anyone planning a night out in that neck of the woods, don't go to Moira's Arms.  The name says it all really...  X_X

Sunday we headed back along the road from our digs at the Premier Inn, and had a bit of time to wander about and chat.  Once the doors opened though, the numbers piled in, and everyone seemed busy.  The second day of shows is normally the quiet one, where you spend most of your time chatting and watching the clock, but this was completely different and a real surprise.  This upturn seemed to perk everyone up, and opinion by the end of the weekend was positive from everyone I spoke with, from traders and visitors alike.  Numbers through the door were around 800 (Sat) and 500 (Sun) from speaking to one of the organisers.  I don't know if that includes all the comp and display gamers though.

There are always things which can be tweaked, but overall the venue change is a success from our perspective.  The increased distance from Derby may have put some people off, but those numbers were probably boosted from people willing to travel from further south, who would have found Derby too far previously.  The public transport issue didn't seem to come up very often from people I spoke with, but maybe some kind of shuttle service could be offered next year?  One comment which was mentioned several times was the lack of a cash point.  This is a tricky one, as hiring one of the standalone units can be expensive, and visitors would be hit with a transaction fee on their withdrawals, which would garner further complaints.  A lot of traders can take cards though (although our machine was having a fight with the roof and refused to get a signal!)

Other potential issues were the cost of the food in the canteen, and the temperature in the hall was a bit chilly on the Saturday.  Externally, I'm not sure how people fared with the parking, but there seemed to be a large gravelled area set aside next door, so hopefully that was enough for everyone.  

So, to summarise all that waffle, we had a good weekend, business-wise about the same as last year overall, but an enjoyable couple of days over a weekend which is always more of a social event for us.  Thanks to the organisers for a great show, and we'll see you next year!

Next on the calendar is the Skelp show, all the way up in Forfar.  We'll be heading up on the Friday afternoon as usual, and we'll need any pre-orders in to us before Sun 14th please!

So, to the games!  The lighting was a bit squiffy in the venue, the black coloured roof swallowing up a lot of the light for photo's.  Walking around it wasn't so noticeable, but when I got back and had a look at the pics, they've got a slight tinge to them.  I didn't have chance to Photoshop them all though, so here they are in their natural glow!

Lead Commanders - Borodino 1812, 6mm

Ancient & Modern - Magnesia 190BC

Urban Construct - H Bomb: Not In My Back Yard

Glenbrook Games - Napoleonic Skirmish

West Wind Productions - Empire of the Dead

Like A Stone Wall - Battle of Oriamendi: 1837

Border Reivers - Arnhem 1944

Warlord Games - Bolt Action

Cranwell Old Dirigibles - Your Target for Tonight Gentlemen - Nuremburg

Black Pyramid Gaming - Zulu Dawn... of the Dead

John Grant & Friends - Deep in the Desert

e-collectica - Fist Full of Penguins

L'Ordre Mixte Club - Ostrowono 1812

Curtey's Miniatures - Operation Kutusov 1943

Cobridge Old Contemptibles - The Storming of the Schellenburg

Plastic Soldier Company - Eastern Front

Westbury Wargamers - Arthurs Battles

KB Club - Battle of Tver

KB Club - Battle of El Sid

Northern Men at Arms Society - Barnet 1471

Sons of Simon de Monfort - Pony Wars in 10mm with Pendraken Indians!

Burton & District Wargames Club - WW2 Skirmish

Critical Mass Games - Varsrift

Rotherham Wargames Club - What a Load of Ballots

Stoke on Trent Wargames Group - Star Trek

Leicester Phat Cats - Operation Charnwood - Capture of Depot 63

Derby Wargames Club - Napoleonic Peninsular Skirmish

Scarab Miniatures Ltd - Amphipolos: Peleponesian War

York Wargames Society - The Curse of Captain Morgan

Leeds Wargames Club - Sink the Bismarck in 10mm with Pendraken figures manning the decks!  :-bd

Barnsley Wargames Club - Sicily 1943

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Thanks for the pics Leon. Not having had a game since Colours it's nice to get a small wargaming fix.

Nosher

Absolutely spiffing to see proper historical games in the ascendancy ;)

And my pet hate... a batlefield with more gaming clutter than models - the Star Trek game X_X
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Techno

Great pics Leon !
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Nice pics, Leon, considering the lighting conditions. Some really nice WW2 games in there, amongst others.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Sandinista

what was odd about moira's arms?

Leon

Quote from: Sandinista on 11 October 2012, 12:46:38 PM
what was odd about moira's arms?

We weren't sure if it belonged to a him or a her... and the six clientele singing karaoke without a microphone was strange at the least.

:D 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

General Bt Sherman

Wargame or Die!

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

crancko

Thank you for the pictures!

I wish I could contact the guys that are running the 10mm Pony wars game to get more info. Anyone can help on this?

Leon

Quote from: crancko on 11 October 2012, 06:47:43 PM
I wish I could contact the guys that are running the 10mm Pony wars game to get more info. Anyone can help on this?

They've got a website here: http://www.sonsofsimondemontfort.org.uk/

I was chatting to them on the Sunday about the rules actually.  Pete at Baccus owns the rights to the rules, and from what they were telling me, there are plans to reprint them in their original format, along with a tweaked version to tie in with the Baccus 6mm ranges?

TheOlivant

Great photos, thanks.
Always nice to see what I missed :o)

nikharwood

Great stuff - does look like there were some cracking games there  8)

As for Pony Wars, I don't fancy Corporal Emerson's chances  :o

Dave Fielder

The Bismark in 10mm. ... Wow!
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Shedman

I played in the Pony Wars game on Sunday - great fun

I asked the guys about "borrowing it" for a month to play at the Slimbridge club.

I purchased a British East Africa force as Peter Pig have a Square Bashing 2012 scenario for Tanga

I got to meet Leon

8)

Leon