Some quick basic questions.

Started by count_zero99uk, 14 May 2010, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

count_zero99uk

Should be starting my painting in 3/4 weeks so i have some questions as ive only done a little painting before.

Typicaly when painting 10mm what size brushes do you use to do what?

Ive seen refference to wet brushing, what is it?

The little lollypop sicks some people use to hold a number of minis for painting, where can i get them cheaply in the UK?

Thanks thats it
Regards
Brian

nikharwood

For brushes the best tip I can give you is to get a decent variety of sizes - essentially, I think you should always paint with the biggest brush you can if it's ok for the job you're doing...you also can't underestimate the beauty of a quality brush: and for that, you're looking at sable - expensive initially, but with care they'll last you a long time, and the results you'll get will be that much better.

It's also, of course, worth getting some cheap synthetics: you really don't want to be using your best brushes for drybrushing or wetbrushing...which leads me on to the definition - wetbrushing [or overbrushing] is essentially where you'll load you brush with paint, wipe most of it off & then paint the figure: not as wet as painting, not as dry as drybrushing...you'll end up with an effect where you can see not just the fine raised detail [which drybrushing will do] but also have applied paint to wider areasof the figure - in this way you'll immediately add depth to the figure.

Something I use a lot is a mid-brown overbrush [always from black undercoat] as this is useful pretty-much regardless of the final uniform colour: it will give you a nice shade to work up from.

Photobucket seems to be playing at being an ar$e at the moment so I'll upload a pic when it's started being photobucket again..grr..

The painting sticks you can get from craft shops - a bag of 100 for a couple of quid or something

nikharwood

15 May 2010, 10:12:06 AM #2 Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 01:41:28 PM by nikharwood
Right here you go - this is a 28mm Spanish Guerilla (not got any 10s prepped to this stage at the moment!)

Sticks from here - I've used Fred Aldous for all kinds of bits & bob, including cheap bulk brush sets [ideal for drybrushing / basing / terrain-making etc as above]: http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_533180003.htm

count_zero99uk

Thanks a lot for the pointers.

So the wetbrushing dosnt have to have 95% covarage, its just for depth.

Right ill be giving it a go in a couple of weeks, once my OU stuff is done for the year.

Tata for now
Brian.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: nikharwood on 15 May 2010, 09:55:05 AM[..] wetbrushing [or overbrushing] is essentially where you'll load you brush with paint, wipe most of it off & then paint the figure [..] in this way you'll immediately add depth to the figure.

Interesting! Does this work with 10mm as well? I would think some of the detail would be irretrievably lost if you just slosh on the goop and cover such large areas. But this grasshopper is willing to learn, oh master.

Cheers,
Aart

Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

:D

Yep - it works fine for 10mm (I do it all the time) - but don't "slosh on the gloop" - this is a controlled overbrush...it takes a bit of time & a slow hand  8)

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: nikharwood on 15 May 2010, 06:59:20 PM
[..] don't "slosh on the gloop" - this is a controlled overbrush...it takes a bit of time & a slow hand  8)

I've had no complaints from the ladies in that respect, so I'll give it a try.  ;D

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

count_zero99uk