Need some Advice

Started by HeadClot, 14 May 2010, 03:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadClot

Ok,

Long story short:

I am trying to persuade my parents to make a Game room in our basement.
We have a limited amount of Space in our basement and I feel that we as a family need a place to have fun besides the TV. I personally do not like any of the TV shows my parents watch due to i missed a few seasons and when i do watch them they make no sense. To me anyway...
I view board games as a hobby and a way to relive stress from the goings on of the day. I was going to propose to my parents a dedicated Game room. On top of everything my friends could come over and play various board games without bugging my parents.

BUT

Before i could make my suggestion my parents start talking about turning the room down stairs into an exercise room. I could really use some advice at this moment in time.

Thanks for the help in advance

I will be watching this thread to respond accordingly.

kustenjaeger

Greetings

Have a dual purpose room that caters for both - the easiest way of doing this is to include (1) a fold away table tennis tabole which gives you your game table (2) sufficient storage for games etc (3) a bit of space to move exercise machines etc out of the way (4) some cheap plastic stackable chairs.

Regards

Edward

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: kustenjaeger on 14 May 2010, 12:26:20 PM
Greetings

Have a dual purpose room that caters for both - the easiest way of doing this is to include (1) a fold away table tennis tabole which gives you your game table (2) sufficient storage for games etc (3) a bit of space to move exercise machines etc out of the way (4) some cheap plastic stackable chairs.

Regards

Edward

The perfect answer. I know several people who have similar arrangements and it works very well. Just make sure you store your models and other sensitive stuff in sturdy cupboards, particularly if people are going to exercise in that room. F friend of mine uses his table tennis table for both wargames and table tennis, and during one hectic table tennis game a kid tripped and smashed headlong into his nice glass display case.

The kid was unharmed, thank you very much...  :(

Cheers,
Aart

Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

HeadClot

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 14 May 2010, 12:35:07 PM
The perfect answer. I know several people who have similar arrangements and it works very well. Just make sure you store your models and other sensitive stuff in sturdy cupboards, particularly if people are going to exercise in that room. F friend of mine uses his table tennis table for both wargames and table tennis, and during one hectic table tennis game a kid tripped and smashed headlong into his nice glass display case.

The kid was unharmed, thank you very much...  :(

Cheers,
Aart

Well I will give this a shot if this works I will defiantly be buying some stuff from Pendraken miniatures in Celebration.

Thank you for your help guys :)

lentulus

Your parents should be pleased that your friends are at your place playing games, rather than at someone else's doing Lord-knows-what.  As a compromise point, I suggest you agree to introduce everyone who comes over.  They should be pleased -- I'm over 50 with 2 sons and my wife and I would be delighted if something like that worked at our place.

17-21l

Yes good ideas - get your mum and dad into fantasy gaming - Dad could be Superman - Mum could be Wonderwoman - you see where this is going? - and while theyre busy you can game on with your mateys -= FAB captain ;) ;)

I also give advice on girlfriends and bad drinking habits, but thatll cost ya!! :-*
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: lentulus on 14 May 2010, 12:52:16 PM
Your parents should be pleased that your friends are at your place playing games, rather than at someone else's doing Lord-knows-what.

You mean that healthy youngsters shouldn't be God-knows-where doing Lord-knows-what? What is the world coming to?  :o

By the way, you can even do Lord-knows-what underneath a table tennis table. Or on it, provided she's the frail type and you have installed very, but very sturdy cupboards.

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Leon

When he said 'gaming room' I don't think he had that in mind!  Or maybe, depends how old he is!

Best option is like other people have said, put your gaming table on top of a pool table or table tennis table, keep your figures stored somewhere safe, and you can quite happily kill two birds with one stone!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

17-21l

sensible advice indeed!  :o
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

nikharwood

You lot are incorrigible  ;D

On the sensible side, good suggestions all round really - particularly the one about getting your parents involved in some gaming as well.

Quoteand during one hectic table tennis game a kid tripped and smashed headlong into his nice glass display case.

The kid was unharmed, thank you very much...

How were the figures??! :o

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: nikharwood on 15 May 2010, 09:08:24 AM
You lot are incorrigible  ;D

On the sensible side, good suggestions all round really - particularly the one about getting your parents involved in some gaming as well.

How were the figures??! :o

Into the hundreds of euros...  ::)

Cheers,
Aart

HeadClot

I talked to my Parents and we have compromised.

I get half of the room they get half of the room. I can Get the entire room if I clean it out completely by myself.

Since it is the Storage/Furnace room we are looking at lots of heavy boxes that have been in there for storage purposes.

But that is not going to stop me.

Just one more obstacle to overcome to get a Game room :)

But I am also wanting to build my own table instead of Buy one (Just call me crazy) I also hate "with a Passion" professionals who charge a fortune for their services.

So in short I will be building the table myself (maybe with the help of my Grandpa), Cleaning out a Furnace and storage room myself, and Buying some minis from Pendraken Miniatures.   

i am thinking of doing this... http://www.seekrieg.com/NavalGameTable.PDF

Aart Brouwer

15 May 2010, 06:04:34 PM #12 Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 06:13:01 PM by Aart Brouwer
Quote from: HeadClot on 15 May 2010, 05:01:54 PM
i am thinking of doing this... http://www.seekrieg.com/NavalGameTable.PDF

Wow, that looks great. And quite hard to make if you wanna do it right. I hope you have the required craftsmanship. What's very good about it is that it's a very sturdy table. You can stowe a couple six packs on there, heck, you can park your own a.. on it.

One thing though: fore all its extraordinary qualities, Pendraken is not known for its naval models. If you're looking for models you might have a peek at websites like Game Shop, GHQ or Panzerschiffe. I have ordered stuff from Panzerschiffe and I was very satisfied. The others I don't know about, but they are both reputable companies.

Cheers,
Aart

HeadClot

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 15 May 2010, 06:04:34 PM
Wow, that looks great. And quite hard to make if you wanna do it right. I hope you have the required craftsmanship. What's very good about it is that it's a very sturdy table. You can stowe a couple six packs on there, heck, you can park your own a.. on it.

One thing though: fore all its extraordinary qualities, Pendraken is not known for its naval models. If you're looking for models you might have a peek at websites like Game Shop, GHQ or Panzerschiffe. I have ordered stuff from Panzerschiffe and I was very satisfied. The others I don't know about, but they are both reputable companies.

Cheers,
Aart

I was just going to use it as a generalized wargame table.

BTW the links that you gave me seem to be broken.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: HeadClot on 15 May 2010, 06:10:19 PM
BTW the links that you gave me seem to be broken.

Fixed it.

Cheers,
Aart