The New Brunswickers for Franco-Prussian War

Started by privateer, 14 May 2010, 02:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

privateer

All I can say about these is WOW, having been someone who has been hanging out for these I was very please to get them the other day.

I sent an email to David asking out sending the figures to build the units to my requirements and as usual an email returned giving the cost etc.

I have Battalion units of 40 figures plus 3 in the Regimental Command for my Prussians and allies, so they don't fit the pack size.

The 4 figures in the group, Officer, Drummer, Stand Bearer and Soldier, are just excellent. Very much up to the standard of the other Prussians and French. David also included the requested Mounted officers (from the Saxon Range I think).

Last night I started the preparation process for painting, filing the base, removing the flash and straitening the weapons and washing before mounting on painting boards. For the 123 figures I had allowed about 3 hours, including the making and drinking of tea.

Well 1 hour later they are all done. Boy was I impressed, the figures were exceptional clean, all I had to do was file the base flat from the inlet feed. There was very little flash or mold lines and no mold displacement. All the weapons were well formed with easily removable vent tags. I have not seen figures cast of that quality for a long while.

So my only complaint is that have allowed 3 hours for the job and having 2 hours to fill I was then available for household chores. "Dam you Pendraken".

Tonight I will be undercoating them and starting the first coats, I will also be better prepared with other important things to do that don't involve dishes or vacuum cleaners.

Hopefully I will have some pictures to share of my attempts over the next little while.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: privateer on 14 May 2010, 02:29:08 AM
Tonight I will be undercoating them and starting the first coats, I will also be better prepared with other important things to do that don't involve dishes or vacuum cleaners.

Hopefully I will have some pictures to share of my attempts over the next little while.

Post 'em if you got 'em. It's nice to hear that someone else, too, is profoundly happy with what they just got from Santadraken.

Oh, and I'm afraid you have to spank the wife because there is no place for a vacuum cleaner around miniatures.  >:(

Cheers,
Aart

Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Shedman

Quote fr
Quote from: privateer on 14 May 2010, 02:29:08 AM
For the 123 figures I had allowed about 3 hours, including the making and drinking of tea.

:o

In my case that would read

"For the 1, 2 or 3 figures I had allowed about 3 hours, including the making and drinking of tea."

If you run out of figures to paint feel free to come round to my place and I'll make the tea  :D

Alan

nikharwood

QuoteI'm afraid you have to spank the wife because there is no place for a vacuum cleaner around miniatures

You don't need an excuse to spank the wife, do you?  :P 8)

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: nikharwood on 14 May 2010, 11:34:55 PM
You don't need an excuse to spank the wife, do you?  :P 8)

I guess you and I don't, Colonel.  ;)
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

mollinary

I wholeheartedly endorse Privateer's comments on these figures.  I really needed them (you know, in that way that wargamers "really need" new figures) to do an accurate X Corps, and begged Dave to produce them in time for a big game coming up in the summer.  He asked for some details on uniforms, duly sent, and then lo and behold, they were modelled in a few weeks.  I was delighted with them (mine are not on quite such a mega scale as Privateer's, three battalions of 17 figures each, for "To the Last Gaiter Button"), and got them painted up and flagged in time for them to be photographed at Salute. I too was deeply impressed with both the quality of the sculpts and the crispness of the casting. I can also recommend Maverick Models who sized the flags at 10mm for me specially to fit the flag poles.  By the way, the mounted officer on my base is from the Wurttemburg generals pack, with a nasty case of scalpel induced scored lines across his chest to represent the frogging! Now, if Dave could just be induced to crack on with those personality and aide de camps figures............

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

privateer

15 May 2010, 11:22:18 AM #7 Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 11:24:24 AM by privateer
Here is a photo of them before after the cleaning and prep. they were about to be glued to a painting strip

thats the full regiment of 3 battalions, each with 40 figures on 4 bases plus and regimental command of 3 figures

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 15 May 2010, 10:03:12 AM
He asked for some details on uniforms, duly sent, and then lo and behold, they were modelled in a few weeks. 

Don't tell them that, it'll only encourage them!  Luckily, we had only just finished the FPW range, so it was easy enough to fit these in.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mollinary

So it wasn't the special quality of my pleading that got them done?  Another dream shattered!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 16 May 2010, 09:37:23 AM
So it wasn't the special quality of my pleading that got them done?  Another dream shattered!

Mollinary

Oh yeah, that as well...

:D   ;)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!