New Plains War Indians!

Started by Leon, 21 September 2012, 04:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Not a great idea... sorry! Combatants yes, think this maybe a step too far.  :-\
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 October 2012, 06:23:17 PM
Not a great idea... sorry! Combatants yes, think this maybe a step too far.  :-\

Yeah, hence my reservations!  He said we can balance it out with a Custer casualty...

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sandinista

Well it was less of a war and more of a genocide

Leon

We may be heading into political territory now I think...

Quick everyone, look at the teepee!

;) :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Rob

GordonY

Yeah the one and only war the yanks ever won on their own.

Basically an industrial nation vs what was basically a culture just out of the stone age. Fair contest, really?

As a period it has all the appeal of yogurt 3 months past its sell by date, I think I'll pass.

However, thinking about it Souix (spelling?) vs Apache might be interesting.

Nav

any plan for an updated us cavalry list as I live in Arizona and I love cavalry and indians and material is all around for dioramas

FierceKitty

Quote from: GordonY on 16 October 2012, 11:12:16 PM
Yeah the one and only war the yanks ever won on their own.

I know a lot of Southerners who'd punch you in the teeth for claiming that.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

Quote from: FierceKitty on 17 October 2012, 02:39:44 AM
I know a lot of Southerners who'd punch you in the teeth for claiming that.

That would be because they suffer from the common colonial misunderstanding of the English language.

They believe that the words "Yank" or  Yankee" refer to persons born north of the Mason-Dixon Line, whereas we Brits realise that correct use of the word is to refer to anyone from the United States of America!  ;) :)

Luddite

Quote from: sunjester on 17 October 2012, 11:30:40 AM
That would be because they suffer from the common colonial misunderstanding of the English language.

They believe that the words "Yank" or  Yankee" refer to persons born north of the Mason-Dixon Line, whereas we Brits realise that correct use of the word is to refer to anyone from the United States of America!  ;) :)

Which is why, to avoid confusion I tend to use the term 'Colonials'*.   :D ;)

'Yank' has always sounded far too foreign a word for my liking...hehe...

It's unfortunately true though that our Colonial cousins get very tetchy when we point out they've never actually won a war on their own. 

They also go a bit purple in the face when, without denigrating their effort and sacrifice, you point out that their soldiers aren't actually that good and never really have moved beyond the 'militia' phase.  I guess that's why they've always put their store in technology and logistics rather than fighting quality.

*Ducks back below the parapet*

However, onto the OP - lovely figures! 

Like others though I share the reservations (no pun intended) concerning the sensitivities around this particular conflict. 
Which 'battles' would you fight with these figures?!?

*A term in fact that can be readily applied to anyone from the parts of the world we used to run.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Dont forget why the White House is White  :d ........mind you dont take the "only one they won alone" too far, Perfidious Albion usually had her allies - who did the fighting !

Agree they are loverly figures.  :)

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Luddite

Quote from: ianrs54 on 17 October 2012, 04:42:24 PM
Perfidious Albion usually had her allies - who did the fighting !

Aye recently it's been the Americans!   ;D

Hehe...cheers chaps.

Its our unfailing sense of fair play you see.  No point in having allies if you don't give them a crack at the French.   :D
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Quote from: Luddite on 17 October 2012, 11:50:59 AM
Which 'battles' would you fight with these figures?!?

Little Bighorn would be the big one, plus any of the other conflicts during the Sioux Wars, and then any random Cowboys vs Indians games people wanted to do.  With the possible re-release of the Pony Wars ruleset as well, there could be a boost in popularity for this period.

8)

sunjester

Quote from: Leon on 17 October 2012, 04:57:01 PM
Little Bighorn would be the big one, plus any of the other conflicts during the Sioux Wars, and then any random Cowboys vs Indians games people wanted to do.  With the possible re-release of the Pony Wars ruleset as well, there could be a boost in popularity for this period.

8)

I'd be more inclined to go for Red Clould's War than LB. More variety of engagments, stand-up fights, hit-and-run raids and, of course, an army massace. Plus you get a fort at the centre of the action!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leon on 17 October 2012, 04:57:01 PM

8)
Bear in mind that they spent plenty of time fighting each other too. For a given value of "fighting", anyway.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.