1809 Austrians in shako

Started by Nav, 08 September 2012, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nav

GordonY

Ermm, they already are, look at the Hungarians.

The "German" regiments were in helmets.

Nav

I know there in helmets but can the german infantry be in shako

GordonY

Dont know would be my answer, but if you want your German battalions in shakos then put them in shakos.

and use these http://www.pendraken.co.uk/NPA5-p6197/

Leon

It's the trousers which are different, so it would just be a case of adding gaiters to the Hungarian figures I believe.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GordonY

Yep just took a look at mine Leon, paint the bottom half of the trousers black and your good to go, they're very tight trousers.

Nav

ok that makes sense maybe some putty can help aswell

GordonY

I wouldnt bother with the putty as the line of the gaiter on the germans is to be honest pretty faint, just swipe your brush around the leg just below the knee and that'll be hunkydory.

WeeWars

As the Pendraken Hungarian figures have well-defined Hungarian pointed cuffs, it wouldn't seem unreasonable to request proper German infantry in shakos with sculpted gaiters and German square cuffs.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Rob

Quote from: WeeWars on 30 July 2013, 01:09:44 PM
As the Pendraken Hungarian figures have well-defined Hungarian pointed cuffs, it wouldn't seem unreasonable to request proper German infantry in shakos with sculpted gaiters and German square cuffs.
I agree. I'm glad you mentioned cuffs, I have painted a "Hungarian" regiment as German, but I felt a bit dissatisfied because I know if someone who knows what to look for picks them up they will see the cuffs are wrong. I did waste some money on Bend Sinister Austrian infantry but they are completly incompatable. I have some OG german infantry which are OK but I've had them awhile now because I am put off with all the cleaning and base cutting that will be involved with them.

Shame really, just seems like a head swap to me.  :)

WeeWars

Quote from: Rob on 31 July 2013, 07:17:06 PM
I did waste some money on Bend Sinister Austrian infantry but they are completely incompatible.

I found the new artillery matched up well. I thought the new infantry might as well.

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost52-03.htm#x:52-3_Y280px

Quote from: Rob on 31 July 2013, 07:17:06 PM
Shame really, just seems like a head swap to me.  :)

Yes, exactly so.  :)

golem

Although the helmet was officially replaced by a shako in 1806, many regiments retained their helmets until 1809. The 'German' infantry fought the campaign in 1809 wearing the shako. The Austrian shako was made of cloth or cloth on leather and was 20.5 cm high. After 1810 new shako was used, it was made of felt.

I think that a figure with shako, even with the greatcoat is not a tragedy for a firm of the course of "Pendraken."
Less fantasy/SF more historians!   :)

eventually selected biblografy:

Bowden, Tarbox - "Armies on the Danube 1809" 1981
Duffy - "The Army of Maria Theresa" 1977
Maude - "The Ulm Campaign 1805"
Arnold - "Napoleon Conquers Austria"
Regele - "Feldmarshall Radetzky. Leben, Leistung, Erbe." 1957
Rothenberg - "Napoleon's Great Adversaries: The Archduke Charles."
Major Semek - "Die Artillerie im Jahre 1809" published in 1904
John Stallaert - "The Evolution of Napoleonic Uniforms" (Austria)
Nafziger and Gioannini - "The Defense of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Northern Italy, 1813-1814"

kustenjaeger

Greetings

I'm sure that if you really wanted it you could pay someone like Techno to do the requisite head swaps (depending how this fits in with the Napoleonics designer etc) - you'd presumably be talking about one head per pose.   Phil happily converted some SYW French cavalry from tricron to bearskin for me (though these were redos of the headgear not headswaps as such) and I'm very pleased with the results.   

Regards

Edward

Techno

Welcome from me too golem. :-h

I'd certainly be happy to do the 'conversions' at some stage....as long as it doesn't cut across the Nap designer.....and Leon's happy for me to do them.
I'd have to warn you that I really am up to my eyeballs in 'putty pushing' at the mo'.....and I'm still trying to catch up with other 'you want what making' requests. ;)

There's also already one larger project for a forum member waiting in the pipeline at present.
(Still.....I'd far rather be too busy than not busy enough ! ;D ;D)

Cheers - Phil.

WeeWars

Quote from: golem on 23 October 2013, 10:08:37 AM
The 'German' infantry fought the campaign in 1809 wearing the shako.

Hi Golem and welcome to the Forum.

It is generally if not universally accepted that the 'German' infantry fought the 1809 campaign still in helmet and the Hungarian infantry in the new shakos. In this, the Pendraken 1809 range is historically correct. But some 'German' units may have changed to shakos by 1809. So for me, personally, I'm only after a bit of variety. Likewise, you could have some Hungarian 1809 units still in helmet.

Cheers, Michael