Suggestions for my new hobby.....

Started by Kebabman, 11 May 2010, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kebabman

Ive recently given up wargaming due to deteriorating sight and problems with my hands,the only problem is im bored s***less,so any ideas......
Professor of the bleedin obvious.

lentulus

Aside from 54mm skirmish gaming?

What exactly are the hand issues? 

I used to game with a guy who was legally blind.  To actually look at a figure he had to use a magnifying glass and get within about an inch of it, but somehow he managed.

Have you considered forms of gaming that are less tactile?  Role-playing can be an almost entirely verbal exercise and it can be quite a sophisticated pursuit with the right group.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: lentulus on 11 May 2010, 01:50:14 PM
Role-playing can be an almost entirely verbal exercise and it can be quite a sophisticated pursuit with the right group.

Lentulus, you are brilliant. I've been racking my brain to come up with alternatives for the gentleman, and this may just be it. You can role play in a dark room on the North Pole in the middle of the Arctic winter and it would still be a great experience. And save a lot of money and time, let alone paint smears on your best pants...

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

17-21l

Dearest Kebebman. Firstly I thought about Mast##ation! but then I thought about your eyes, and of course your hands.  Is it that you cant see a gaming board or that you cant paint anymore??

I confess that I think , after 24 years of painting, it has started to affect my sight - and 10mm? god bless it - maybe a lil too small for me now, but hey ho!

Give up the painting mate - use the armies youve got or buy ready made - either 2nd hand or painting sevices, only thing I can think of - or indeed BIG SCALE skirmish.

Anycase - best of luck Im sure you'll find something mate. ;) ;)
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

A decent painting service would be my first suggestion, there are some excellent guys about at good prices.  And upscaling would be my second, as much as I'd like everyone to be 10mm fanatics, it's better to have people in the hobby than out of it.  Are you a member of a wargames club?  You could start 'hosting' games, where you become like the 'Dungeon Master' of the game, throwing in random actions, and controlling the flow of everything?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Take part in multi-player games where others can help out on the eyesight and hands issue. Alternatively, take the role of an overall commander and issue orders to your subordinates and see how they comply with said orders.

FierceKitty

It seems obvious, but no one has said it. Every wargamer should play chess anyway; not as pretty in some ways, but verrrrry satisfying if you like tactical thought, and you can get a big set to compensate for failing eyes (I'll need to go this route some day too, I begin to realise).
   And now the less obvious one - try shogi (Japanese chess), which is a lot more like a real battle, since you never have the situation, familiar from international chess, with one player reduced to a singe piece and the other with a king and a pawn.
  The Chinese variant, xiang chi, is great fun too, though perhaps not in the same league.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

nikharwood

I think both the RPG & referee routes are the best suggestions here...will give you the best freedom to use your existing resources I think - your imagination!

And the use-the-toys-you've-painted-already (while heresy, natch) is top-notch advice to us all  :P 8)

dicehead

There's so many good RPG's out there you'll run out of time before you run out of good games and if there's nobody local there's plenty of skype players looking to find someone. If your sight is an issue how about loading an mp3 player full of live play from RPG podcasts, it's a great way to see what games are actually like to play.

http://www.rpgpodcasts.com/ that's a pretty good source but there are lots more.