Seven Years War SYW French

Started by nikharwood, 02 September 2012, 10:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

02 September 2012, 10:46:15 PM Last Edit: 02 September 2012, 11:03:44 PM by nikharwood
First pics of a SYW French army for Maurice for a commission - consisting of:

CO + 3 notables
3 x Line Infantry
2 x Grenadiers
1 x Heavy Cavalry
1 x Hussars
1 x Dragoons
(These are all 4 bases to a unit)
6 x 3pdr cannon
2 x 6 pdr cannon with limbers

Assembled:

Bases textured:

Undercoated:

Bases: Cayman Green

Bases: highlighted with Camouflage Green:

Overbrushing: Commands / Cavalry / Artillery: Beasty Brown; Infantry: Cold Grey:

Horses painted: Black, Cold Grey, Earth, Dark Fleshtone - all highlighted with mixed-in Bone White; manes & tails: Black, highlighted Cold Grey; Blazes etc: Skull White:

Infantry next...

Shecky

Can't wait to see the finished project.

It does bring up a question about your technique...

Do you strive to paint the hard to reach areas on the multi-figure base? My normal method is to glue figures on craft sticks, paint them and then put them on bases. However, for my WWII figures I do base them prior to painting but I only have two or three figures on a base. For multi rank bases it would seem the back of the front rank and the front of the back rank would be difficult to reach.  But I have wondered why I fret about painting the scabbard or haversack and the like on figures when it won't be seen depending on what rank they end up in.

Tom

Steve J

I can't speak for Nik, but I don't worry about parts I can't reach and therefore probably won't be seen on the table. But then I paint to a good gaming standard and no more. Life is too short and I want to get the figures on the table to a standard that I'm happy with.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

WOW!  :o
What you doing after lunch then Nik?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Quote from: Steve J on 03 September 2012, 07:34:30 AM
I can't speak for Nik, but I don't worry about parts I can't reach and therefore probably won't be seen on the table. But then I paint to a good gaming standard and no more. Life is too short and I want to get the figures on the table to a standard that I'm happy with.

Problem is, "can't reach to paint" and "not visible on the table" are often two very different things, Steve.  :-\

I'm running out of superlatives, Nik.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

nikharwood

03 September 2012, 08:31:22 PM #6 Last Edit: 03 September 2012, 10:52:40 PM by nikharwood
This question comes up quite a bit [funnily enough, it arose the last time I did some SYW  :)]

Essentially I do paint pretty-much everything; I can get brushes to where I want - have a look at this thread:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,709.0.html

And this issue - with some illustrative pics - is mentioned on later pages here:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,709.45.html

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,709.60.html

Hope that helps  :)

Hertsblue

I've come to the conclusion that, for my purposes anyway, I shall do all open order figures (WW2 etc) "on the base", and all close-order stuff (Marlburian etc) on battens. Chacun a son gôut, as they say.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Your title to this post has puzzled me from day 1, Nik.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Rothgar68

Very nice!

I'm very interested to see how this project progresses.

nikharwood

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 September 2012, 08:40:17 AM
Your title to this post has puzzled me from day 1, Nik.

Just trying to help by including both terms for the benefit of the forum Search function :)

Rothgar68

I'm surprised they aren't done yet..  :P

madbeardman

Quote from: Rothgar68 on 06 September 2012, 04:15:23 PM
I'm surprised they aren't done yet..  :P

I don't want Nik to rush these, they are after all for me...

So far Nik, very nice, take your time I'm no hurry the builders are adding more dust per day here.

Cheers
Colin
Some people tell me I'm mad, some people tell me that I have a beard and some people tell me that I'm a mad, so I create a blog.

www.madbeardman.com

nikharwood

:) Thanks Colin - and welcome to the forum  8)

Real life is interfering during the week at bit at the moment - but the weekend looms large (they've progressed a touch from those last pics as well) and I'm hoping to get the bulk of the infantry done  :)

Glad the builders are carrying on too  :D

nikharwood

08 September 2012, 06:00:48 PM #14 Last Edit: 08 September 2012, 07:20:04 PM by nikharwood
Pics here of basecoat uniform colours for infantry & artillerymen - this is the phase when they look really messy - but don't panic, they'll look better soon... ;)

Infantry: Skull White
Grenadiers: Skull White [one unit]; Regal Blue + Skull White 60:40 [jackets]; Skull White [breeches / gaiters]
Artillerymen: Regal Blue [jackets]; Skull White [breeches / gaiters]