A very hard choice

Started by Nav, 29 August 2012, 03:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nav

im deciding to quit using vallejo for my napoleonics but I will use the for fow. What brand of paint is the best for paiinting naps, ive narrowed it down between wargames foundry and coat d arms. whats your opinion on which on which one is best and are there any other suggestions for paint brands

P.S. i only want paint in pots not eyedroppers.  :'( :'(

Duke Speedy of Leighton

29 August 2012, 08:01:31 AM #1 Last Edit: 29 August 2012, 08:03:16 AM by mad lemmey
I use a massive mix of coat d'arms (especially their amazing 'Deadly Nightshade' dark blue, the perfect blue for all your French and Prussia needs), Humbrol and Reeves acrylics with Windsor and Newton inks.
Never bought into Foundry, as everything I need is there!
I do have a massive Vallejo selection, and I do agree though that for anything over about twenty figures the eyedroppers are really frustrating! However an old wall tile or the base of another paint pot do make good mixing surfaces...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Or old CDs. Or if you're really posh you can buy a proper mixing palette from an art shop for a nominal amount.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Chad

For mixing I use the caps from plastic milk bottles.

GordonY

I rip apart old CD cases, gives you 2 decent sized palletes.

Nav

Quote from: mad lemmey on 29 August 2012, 08:01:31 AM
I use a massive mix of coat d'arms (especially their amazing 'Deadly Nightshade' dark blue, the perfect blue for all your French and Prussia needs), Humbrol and Reeves acrylics with Windsor and Newton inks.
Never bought into Foundry, as everything I need is there!
I do have a massive Vallejo selection, and I do agree though that for anything over about twenty figures the eyedroppers are really frustrating! However an old wall tile or the base of another paint pot do make good mixing surfaces...
the coat d arms deadly nightshade is black though is it a primer or did they get the color wrong on the website.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It's a very very dark blue, best used over white undercoat (it may appear in many different shades now, from almost black via dark and lighter blue to and almost green shade, but worry not), black wash, which hides a multitude of sins and gaps, then highlight with deadly nightshade and you get a wonderful deep shade of dark blue. It really works well.
Haave a look at any of my 19th Century topics apart from 1866 Saxons and you will see what it looks like!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

seano1815

For mixing I use the clear top from a tube of pringles crisps, you get a good pallete, and you get to eat the contents...a win win situation ;D
Sean

Gennorm

The back of an old greetings card, oned that's white and shiny so  the paint doesn't soak in. Also used for mixing epoxy.

sebigboss79

Quote from: Nav on 29 August 2012, 03:59:52 AM
im deciding to quit using vallejo for my napoleonics but I will use the for fow. What brand of paint is the best for paiinting naps, ive narrowed it down between wargames foundry and coat d arms. whats your opinion on which on which one is best and are there any other suggestions for paint brands

P.S. i only want paint in pots not eyedroppers.  :'( :'(

If eyedroppers are a no no for you then there literally is only CdA. The rest is either too expensive (GW) or in eyedroppers (P3, Vallejo). Having said that the Base White from GW is ace though....